Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Database Mail unable to send to DL

Author  Topic 

propanecan
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 13:23:33
I have been using Database Mail to notify myself when SQL Jobs end in failure. This has been working quite well when the notifications are setup to email myself as an Operator. Now I have created a new Operator that uses a distribution list email instead of an individual and the emails are not being sent. The notification in the SQL Agent Logs indicate that the email was successfully sent to the queue, but the email is never received. When I attempt to send a test email from the database mail profile it works correctly using my email address, but not when using the distribution list. Has anyone experienced this issue before? Perhaps an issue with the DL itself?

Thanks for responding.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 13:49:29
An Outlook distro has to be mapped to a specific email address in order for it to work, i.e. DistributionList@maildomain.com. Is that how you set up the operator?
Go to Top of Page

propanecan
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 14:17:12
Thanks robvolk.

Yes, the operator is mapped to the DL List email such as DatabaseAdministrators@mail.com

The message log states that the email was sent successfully, but the email never sends.

In the interim, I have updated the operator to use multiple email addresses and that is working fine. For the ease of future administration, however, the DL would be a better approach.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 14:19:16
Check with your mail admin. Can you send to that list from a Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo account successfully?
Go to Top of Page

propanecan
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 15:02:42
Yes...the DL works correctly from my mail client, however does not work using Database Mail --> Test Email
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-18 : 15:11:46
Except for a typo, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Have you tried that address using sp_send_dbmail?
Go to Top of Page

propanecan
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-19 : 12:35:11
I completely agree with you....a little stumped myself.

Let me try using sp_send_dbmail and I will let you know.
Go to Top of Page

propanecan
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-19 : 12:47:11
So, using sp_send_dbmail completes successfully, (Mail queued), however I never receive the email. Makes me think that this really is an issue with the DL or exchange?
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-19 : 13:53:46
When you state it works from your email - is that your internal Outlook/Exchange client?

If so, then there is something not configured correctly on the distribution list in Exchange or they have setup a mail-enabled security group and that isn't configured correctly for your environment.
Go to Top of Page

propanecan
Yak Posting Veteran

60 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-19 : 15:04:59
Thanks Jeff.

Internal Outlook/Exchange client is correct.

Looks like I need to forward on this information to our Exchange team...in the interim adding multiple email addresses per operator appears to be the work around.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

SaurabhSharan
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-20 : 03:20:01
HI,

I am getting issue on SQL Server 2005 studio management.
1.I have created database. and go to maintainance plan. set rule there for autoback.
2. once click on start Job its giving me error.

Please look into below link
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=176568

Saurabhsharan
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2012-07-20 : 07:37:13
Saurabhsharan-

Please do not hijack another thread and avoid cross posting. Post your question 1 time. Someone will read it.
Go to Top of Page

goorange
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-12-12 : 11:18:20
I had the same issue as propanecan, Database Mail would not send to a distribution group. The solution is to update the Distribution Group that is setup in Exchange (Exchange 2010 in my case) and uncheck "Require that all senders are authenticated". This setting is under Mail Flow Settings > Message Delivery Restrictions. After unchecking, e-mails to distribution group work fine.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -