Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Ignoring Posts w/ Expert Advice

Author  Topic 

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 23:59:55
I ignore a lot of posts just from reading the subject and noticing who replied. For example, if it's a T-SQL problem and webfred or Peso or Visakh answered. Or it's an admin post and Tara or Rob or MVJ answered...

Then I assume the OPs question is answered and move on without ever clicking on it. Unless/Until I happen to notice a lot of replies.

Anyone else do that?

Oh, I click on ALL of the replication and most of the admin questions lol.

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 03:16:30
Yup.

If the question doesn't indicate the issue I ignore it too. "I'm stuck" or "Urgent" and I avoid it. I have no idea from the title whether my knowledge will be relevant, or not, and I have to use my time sparingly.

So you were lucky that you used a title on which I'm an expert for this post

I periodically click on the name-link for regulars. That means that my browser remembers that it is a visited link, and so colours them slightly differently to other name-links. That helps me spot replies by "regulars", and also if a question is started-by a regular - which I find hard to spot, as they are not common, and are definitely worth a read (in the hope that they have managed to get themselves into more of a pickle than me, that day ...)

When Graz installs the new forum software, with uber-intelli-sense, it will no doubt do all that for me.

Are there fewer Date Format questions than there used to be? Discuss without recursion
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3451 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 05:11:22
I get annoyed at 'Urgent' posts that are anything but.
I always check anything that Peso or Visakh er al answers. Just in case there is something crazy new there.

I prefer the algorithmic or 'how to do this crazy thing' type post rather than the admin / replication ones.
I'll always click on a regular's post if I see one.

However, I've had much less time to actually post or check the forums since I changed companies. I don't know how people like Peso (or SewPeso in this brave new world) actually manage to devote so much time here and still do their day jobs (which I'm sure they do with great diligence, care and general all round awesomeness)

I'm finding that I'm less likely to help someone if they haven't bothered to format their code or if it's just a big spaghetti mess (unless they are very new).

Date questions: there still seems to be far too many. ISO types people!

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 05:26:43
The solution is having to screens and able to do one thing with your left hand and something else with your right hand. :-)

Not really. I am mostly developing new algorithms and watching large imports populate the data warehouse I am building.
The imports run for 2 min to 90 minutes. So there are pleny of time to play with forums.

The algorithm part is mostly paper and pen until the math seem ok. Then I write some code to test.

N 56°04'39.26"
E 12°55'05.63"
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 05:50:49
"The solution is having two screens and able to do one thing with your left hand and something else with your right hand. :-)"

I'm thinking of getting a third screen ...
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 06:00:13
And a third hand or will you operate another keyboard with your nose?

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 06:14:29
You're missing my point TC ...
Go to Top of Page

DonAtWork

2167 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 08:33:24
I click on just about anything when i have spare time

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx
How to ask: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

For ultra basic questions, follow these links.
http://www.sql-tutorial.net/
http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 13:08:02
I click on all of the admin posts, regardless if it's been answered by an "expert". I am here to learn as well as to help, and there's plenty that I don't know. So I don't just get in and get out when visiting SQLTeam, I spend a bit of time here.

Replication is one of my weaknesses. I've got plenty of knowledge about it as we've been using it for many years, but I still feel like it's this foreign topic to me. I'm always keen to read russell's answers.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 13:18:48
quote:
I am here to learn as well as to help, and there's plenty that I don't know.

Me too. A lot of people don't realize that it's a 2 way street. We're all learning all the time.

I do read a lot of posts too. I really just meant some things that I see, by the title it seems an issue I could help with, but if I notice some of you guys on it, then I figure it's "case closed" :)

I read most of the admin stuff, some of the T-SQL stuff. There are far better T-SQL/algorithm folks here than me.
Go to Top of Page

ajthepoolman
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

384 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 13:42:13
You guys are too smart for me, so I just lurk. Every once in a while I post in the section when they ask about SSRS. Unfortunately I don't do that anymore (Crystal shop, ugh) so my advice is probably total crap.

Hey, it compiles.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 14:00:34
Funny you mention me answering admin posts, I've been a lot more interested in answering crazy SQL questions. The admin side is kinda boring for me, it's not as much of a playground as querying and design.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 14:18:39
It was a mistake. I noticed it, but didn't bother to fix.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 14:19:39
quote:
Originally posted by ajthepoolman

my advice is probably total crap.

LOL. Some of mine probably is too
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 14:54:23
Over the last several years I have had less and less time to even look at sqlteam posts.

So now the first thing I look for is anything I've already posted to (the bolded ones).
Next I usually look for the ones that have 0 responses. They are occasionally something interesting that none of the speed posters wanted to deal with but usually they are from very inexperienced developers that couldn't even articulate an answerable question :(

Next I'll look down in the Yak Corral for anything new.

Finally if I'm still here looking - I'll scan subjects for something that jumps out at me as something I may have some experience with - so rarely look at "please help" or "urgent" topics. Xerxes' topics descriptions were always entertaining.

Oh yeah! Of course if any topic has been locked by an admin I gotta check that out :)

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 15:13:37
yeah, those locked ones are beacons flashing "read me!" lol.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-27 : 05:54:59
Just a thought: I think you admins should delete more that you lock.

If it doesn't add useful Google-food then delete would be my approach.

I delete all duplicates. I add a "Duplicate of XXX" reply, and then Nuke the thread. I do try to remember to UNCHECK the "Lock user" checkbox on the Nuke screen. No, I do ... I really really do try ... but I secretly hope that the poster gets a "Your question now has an answer click here" email from my response and they then get a dead-page on the click-through
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-27 : 14:42:50
I've got password software, which automatically adds my credentials and quickly closes the window. So I can't nuke these as it would lock the accounts.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-27 : 16:12:43
I was assuming, probably wrongly?, that the MODs have tools to be able to Delete as easily as Lock?

Perhaps you're just on NUKE too ...

I'm happy to delete posts like that that you have locked, when I see them, if you don't mind? I ahve no strong feelings on the matter though ... and its not like I can be relied on to be around
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-29 : 12:31:22
Yes I do have permissions to delete, and I definitely do delete duplicates. But the OP won't know not to post dupes in the future unless we tell them, which we can't do if we delete. So it's a catch-22.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-30 : 11:46:08
I usually avoid answering the T-SQL questions because so many of them are so poorly explained that I'm not sure what they are asking and it turns into "Thanks for the answer, but what I was really after is..." and then repeat until the OP thinks they have the answer.

Peso and Visakh seem to have the patience and understanding to deal with those, and they usually have them answered before I read them anyway.

I would never even attempt to answer this one. 14 posts on the thread, and I still don't know what they are after.
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=164850

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -