Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Health/Fitness/Nutrition

Author  Topic 

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-30 : 18:13:01
Any questions, lemme know, bodybuilder of 20 years experience here.

:)

Jim.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-30 : 18:24:39
How much do you bench?
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-01 : 01:48:59
My arms measure little more than 15 inches.
Is there any way I can increase it by say approximately 2 inches in a month or so?

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-01 : 16:45:24
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

How much do you bench?

I DID mean questions about YOUR efforts, not mine, but I didn't make that explicit, so my fault.

220Kg's 1RM, just healing up from a tendinopathy before I start heavy work.
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-01 : 17:02:04
how can i get fit without exerting any effort on my part? that's what i'd like to know. :)

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-01 : 17:42:05
quote:
Originally posted by jezemine

how can i get fit without exerting any effort on my part? that's what i'd like to know. :)

elsasoft.org

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-01 : 21:38:27
quote:
Originally posted by jezemine

elsasoft.org

Do what I do...drink a lot of alcohol...
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-01 : 23:11:16
quote:
Do what I do...drink a lot of alcohol
16 oz x 1000 reps = 100 lbs x 10 reps....

Your theory intrigues me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-02 : 01:43:55
Hey where the answer for my question?

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-02 : 06:49:14
quote:
Originally posted by Sachin.Nand

My arms measure little more than 15 inches.
Is there any way I can increase it by say approximately 2 inches in a month or so?
PBUH

15" is already a good base to build on. It is almost impossible to put on 2" in a month, that would be like trying to learn how to implement and administer SQL Server over a weekend. Having said that, I went from 14" to 17" in a matter of months.

Tell me your current regime, age, training experience etc. and I'll put together a program foryou.

Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-02 : 12:44:09
Thx for the reply.
Well I am 29 yrs old.Currently have a workout schedule of 3 days ON & 3 days OFF with a day for cardio also doing some Yoga.
Did little bit of boxing in university days.
Weight - 175 pounds
Height -176 cms
Workout schedule
Day 1 - arms & shoulders
Day 2 - rest
Day 3 - chest & back
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - Legs
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - cardio

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-02 : 13:20:35
quote:

Thx for the reply.
Well I am 29 yrs old.Currently have a workout schedule of 3 days ON & 3 days OFF with a day for cardio also doing some Yoga.
Did little bit of boxing in university days.
Weight - 175 pounds
Height -176 cms
Workout schedule
Day 1 - arms & shoulders
Day 2 - rest
Day 3 - chest & back
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - Legs
Day 6 - rest
Day 7 - cardio
PBUH

Ok, I want you to move to a 2 day per week schedule. First, if you feel in any way run down, stressed or tired nowadays, I INSIST you take a week off (from training). When you return, make Day 1 your leg day, this will give your system a large testosterone boost for the rest of the week. It's also a good idea to do any jogging straight after your leg workout (or later on the same day), as this greatly reduces post exercise soreness you feel the next day or thereafter.

We're going to remove all excuses for your arms not to grow, and focus on isolation excercises. You will drop all chest/back work for the time being. Before I give you the rest of the program, can you confirm whether you'll be happy to do that.
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-02 : 14:04:29
Before I give you the rest of the program, can you confirm whether you'll be happy to do that.

I will be more than willing to do anything you say.Between you do really sound like a true body building professional.

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-02 : 16:43:42
A la charles atlus, can you rip a book, say the dimensions of "SQL SERVER 2008 INTERNALS" apart? at least this might give some tenuous connection to sql server is some way.

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-03 : 07:15:16
quote:

Before I give you the rest of the program, can you confirm whether you'll be happy to do that.
I will be more than willing to do anything you say.Between you do really sound like a true body building professional.
PBUH

Ok Sachin, a further 3 points, and then your arm workout below.

29 is a good age, your body still produces a lot of testosterone which helps Hypertrophy, meaning the enlargement of the muscle cells which is, fundamentally, what makes muscles big (as distinct from Hyperplasia, which is the abnormal growth in the number of muscle cells, usually induced by steroids, which I hope you never take!!!). The very best age, physically, to start bodybuilding is 18, as you can make astonishingly rapid growth in a very short period. My nephew is 18 and has almost 20" calves, which are a half " bigger than mine (although overall he is only about 12 stones. All he does is stand tip-toe hundreds of times a day!!

One thing I forgot to mention is that your Monday leg workout MUST include either squats or deadlifts. I know a lot of intermediate weightlifters who only started squatting grudgingly, I myself didn't like the movement (and it's still a long way from being my favourite), but start to do it, because otherwise you won't have that testosterone boost, and in any case, there is no more effective all-over mass builder than these two movements, especially the squat. Let me know how you already find the movement (either Squat or DL), and whatever difficulties or issues you have them, I'll work through with you to iron out.

Next, if your cardio currently consists of using a rowing machine, or of any exercise that recruits your arms for pushing/pulling etc, I want you to switch to running. Your arms are about to undergo an explosive growth phase and trust me, they will not need a secondary beating, after Upper arms day, than the one we will administer ON the day. Furthermore, I say "Upper" arms day as I've presumed you want your Biceps and Triceps enlarged. I can also create a 3rd session (and therefore a 3-day split) in the week for you to work your forearms. If you'll give me the unflexed circumference of your forearms, I'll be able to give you an informed opinion on how soon you should start working them directly (as simply holding a barbell/dumbell will work them), but for now, I'd say the sooner, the better.

For Upper Arms Day, execute the exercises below in the exact order, 3 sets of 4-6 reps each, but in a LOOP - which I will demonstrate below. If you already know how much weight you use for particular exercise, reduce it now to about 70% for this first week, as it will be a big shock to your arms. If not, use your warm-up sets (I presume you do these, if not, you will start now!!) to determine the weight you can comfortably handle without a loud grunt in the first set. Remember, you will make your greatest gains not by thrusting 90% of your one-rep max explosively, but by lowering 80-85% of it SLOWLY AND EVENLY AND OFTEN. Paradoxical as it may seem, the majority of your growth will spring from the slow unflexing of the target muscle in each of the following movements. Strive to increase weekly either the number of reps you perform for an exercise, or when you hit 3*6, the actual weight by about 5%.

Now, for the part you've been waiting for... :)

Upper Arms Day,

Barbell Biceps Curls - there is NO finer way to build good biceps. If you do not do these regularly, you may find that the angle at which you must hold the bar seems hurtful to your wrists. This is one reason I advocate doing Week 1 @ 70% of usual weight, it is the acclimitisation that is key. Work through the wrist pain, UNLESS it is causing you to shout. Move to the exercise below.

Barbell Skull-crushers - Again, no better way to bulk the triceps, plus it forces your triceps to extend their ROM (range of motion in that resting period between lowering, and lifting). Ensure your head is halfway off the end of the bench, your gloves have an excellent grip, if not use bare, dry hands for this one, as the name of the movement alone is scary enough to most trainees before even looking at the exercise. Preferably, ensure that the barbell (or at least, the section of it you are holding) is knurled, not smooth. You can vary your hand width to suit, but over time, experiment with differing widths, wider and closer, but no closer than your outstretched thumbs touching. Now, return to BB Bicep curls for the next set, but if you have already completed three, then move to the exercise below.

Dumbell Hammer curls - perform only 1 warm-up set for this (and the remaining exercises), and use about 80% of the weight you do for BB Bicep curls. This movement places emphasis on the outer head of the biceps, and in fact, you'll probably find yourself ENJOYING this movement - I do. Here, if you want to continue past 3 sets, go ahead. Move to the exercise below.

Triceps Pushdowns - Palms facing body. You'll note that your palms have rotated 90 degrees, which recruits different heads, and that is the entire point of these exercise - we are forcing ALL your heads to fire with nearly equal ferocity. You can also achieve this with an overhead DB press, but I'm not a fan of any behind-the-neck work, as it places your shoulders at an adverse angle - which is something you NEVER want to do, as I found out the hard way in 1995 before I had people on the internet to advise me... :(
Return to Dumbell Hammer curls for the next set, but if you have already completed a minimum of three, and don't want to do more, then move to the exercise below.

DB/BB Biceps curls - Palms Down. Use 80% of what you did for the Hammer curls. Stretch your biceps, and move to the next exercise below.

Triceps Pushdowns - Palms Down. You will find this a very unusual exercise, and that is because you are recruiting the most underused of the the three heads of your triceps, and although again, you will use only 80% of the weight you used for the pushdowns above, this will be one of the most effective methods of giving your triceps that overall 'rounded-out' appearance and feel. Return to Bicep curls above for the next set, but if you have already completed three, then stretch your triceps, have a protein shake, and have a feel of your new arms. I suspect you'll like them.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-03 : 08:24:39
quote:
Originally posted by Transact Charlie

A la charles atlus, can you rip a book, say the dimensions of "SQL SERVER 2008 INTERNALS" apart? at least this might give some tenuous connection to sql server is some way.

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION

The fact that this thread is in a subform of a site dedicated to SQL Server IS such a connection, and not just a tenuous one at that.

:)
Go to Top of Page

sakets_2000

1472 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-04 : 02:03:00
I love this thread. Good work Jim !
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-04 : 09:04:50
Thank you very much Jim.I will get back to you on this after some time.

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-04 : 14:24:02
quote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that your Monday leg workout MUST include either squats or deadlifts.

Regarding squats & DL's I add DL's to my pulling day and squats to my pushing day or sometimes I do squats and deads together on the same day.Squating first & then DL's.In DL's I alternate my palm in/out grip on deadlifts (i.e., right hand palm facing me,left hand palm facing away)!

quote:
Next, if your cardio currently consists of using a rowing machine, or of any exercise that recruits your arms for pushing/pulling etc, I want you to switch to running.

For cardio I dont do any pulling or pushing like you mentioned.Its a simple jogging for about 45 minutes.I wonder should it be running or jogging?

quote:
Furthermore, I say "Upper" arms day as I've presumed you want your Biceps and Triceps enlarged. I can also create a 3rd session (and therefore a 3-day split) in the week for you to work your forearms. If you'll give me the unflexed circumference of your forearms, I'll be able to give you an informed opinion on how soon you should start working them directly (as simply holding a barbell/dumbell will work them), but for now, I'd say the sooner, the better.

My forearms have always been puny.My current size is approximately 11''.But is it a good idea to dedicate one whole session just for forearams.I always had it combined with my arms.
quote:
Barbell Biceps Curls - there is NO finer way to build good biceps. If you do not do these regularly, you may find that the angle at which you must hold the bar seems hurtful to your wrists.

I wonder is it necessary to go with barbells.because I am never comfortable with them.I dont know why. Cant dumbell curls be substituted for them?

No issues with Dumbell Hammer curls & triceps pushdown though.

How long should I keep up with this schedule?This week is total rest for me.So hopefully I will start from next Monday.Will it be fine?
If not I will give it go a from this week.

Thanks Jim for all the help & info.Greatly appreciate it.

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

Jim Beam
Posting Yak Master

137 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-04 : 17:02:38
quote:

quote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that your Monday leg workout MUST include either squats or deadlifts.

Regarding squats & DL's I add DL's to my pulling day and squats to my pushing day or sometimes I do squats and deads together on the same day.Squating first & then DL's.In DL's I alternate my palm in/out grip on deadlifts (i.e., right hand palm facing me,left hand palm facing away)!

As from next week then, I'd like you to Squat on Monday. You are correct about the palms facing opposing directions on the DL, this is to prevent the barbell rolling out of your hands.

quote:
quote:
Next, if your cardio currently consists of using a rowing machine, or of any exercise that recruits your arms for pushing/pulling etc, I want you to switch to running.

For cardio I dont do any pulling or pushing like you mentioned.Its a simple jogging for about 45 minutes.I wonder should it be running or jogging?

Whichever you feel most comfortable with, but for the purpos of speeding up your metabolism, a fast, short sprint is MUCH better than a long, slow jog.

quote:
quote:
Furthermore, I say "Upper" arms day as I've presumed you want your Biceps and Triceps enlarged. I can also create a 3rd session (and therefore a 3-day split) in the week for you to work your forearms. If you'll give me the unflexed circumference of your forearms, I'll be able to give you an informed opinion on how soon you should start working them directly (as simply holding a barbell/dumbell will work them), but for now, I'd say the sooner, the better.

My forearms have always been puny.My current size is approximately 11''.But is it a good idea to dedicate one whole session just for forearams.I always had it combined with my arms.

11" isn't bad (just ask my girlfriend!!:) ). You will not have time on Upper Arms day for anything else, in fact you need to compress your workouts to about 45 minutes, although if you are making good progress it's ok to stretch to an hour, but no longer please, as you then leave the anabolic window, and any lifting you do after that, using the same bodyparts, will not be rewarded, and may in fact hamper your efforts. If you are using discs, make sure they are out and ready, because disc-changes take up time when you would rather be resting in between sets.

quote:
Barbell Biceps Curls - there is NO finer way to build good biceps. If you do not do these regularly, you may find that the angle at which you must hold the bar seems hurtful to your wrists.

I wonder is it necessary to go with barbells.because I am never comfortable with them.I dont know why. Cant dumbell curls be substituted for them?

No they cannot, because with DB's you can cheat by rotating your wrists slightly inwards, which greatly reduces the emphasis on both heads. Get used to using BB's.

quote:
No issues with Dumbell Hammer curls & triceps pushdown though.

I made a small mistake with the final movement, which will be a palms-UP pushdown.

quote:
How long should I keep up with this schedule?This week is total rest for me.So hopefully I will start from next Monday.Will it be fine? If not I will give it go a from this week.

Next week is cool, but if you are going to rest, then rest fully, no running either. I'm going to ask you to maintain and email to me a log of what you lifted during the session. I have a template I use that I can send you if you like. Keep a pencil and paper with you and make notes on your workout of how many reps you performed in which set, at what weight in what exercise. Based on the information within, I will periodically adjust your program, but there will be no fundamental changes for a couple of months.

quote:
quote:
Thanks Jim for all the help & info.Greatly appreciate it.

My pleasure mate, my pleasure. :)

Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-04 : 18:03:16
someone should pop over to http://forum.bodybuilding.com and offer some help defragmenting indexes or some such, to even things out.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -