Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Diagnostics for SQL Server

Author  Topic 

jdouvlos
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-09 : 18:12:55
I'm looking to bag Perfmon for diagnosing SQL problems. Has anyone found or used a good third party tool for SQL monitoring? I used a trial version or Spotlight on SQL Server today and it's looks pretty good. Is there anything better out there before I start doing some research on the net? Has anyone tried a DEMO of MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager) along with the SQL pack? I have a demo of this which I will try. Any insights will be appreciated. Should I write my own transact sql code to monitor anything specific?

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-09 : 18:14:38
Just out of curiosity, what's missing from Perfmon and Profiler?

Go to Top of Page

jdouvlos
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-09 : 22:17:21
I would say nothing is really missing from perfmon or profiler. I guess I want something that can get me all of the info I need quickly in one location. Spotlight looks okay but it might not look that attractive if the cost is too high. What would be real nice is some real time sp_who that could also show me the code that is running within the spid quickly. Things on a Trading floor happen fast. Traders want things fixed yesterday when they break. I work for AIG Trading in Greenwich CT, we trade Foreign Currency, Precious Metals and Energy and it's a real circus.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -