Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 .NET Inside SQL Server (2005)
 cannot read some DBF file

Author  Topic 

Huangdashi
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-06 : 18:07:47
Hi All

I am trying to load DBF files into SQL server within CLR (actually if just running the select statement outside, say within the SQLQuery window, i got the same result), but with the following error:

Msg 7314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The OLE DB provider "VFPOLEDB" for linked server "MYDBF" does not contain the table "T8866064". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

I created the linked server in this way

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver
@server = 'MYDBF',
@provider = 'VFPOLEDB',
@srvproduct = 'My Data',
@datasrc = 'c:\data'

i did not create the login since my SQL instance is running under a superaccount with all privilege.

What frustrates me is that i can read most of the dbf files, but just a few of them is not readable.

Can anyone give me some hints on it?

by the way, i am using vfp9.0

thanks

michael

Huangdashi
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-07 : 12:38:17
further test gives me additional error messages

if i use openquery, i get the different message

OLE DB provider "VFPOLEDB" for linked server "MYDBF" returned message "Unspecified error".
Msg 7350, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot get the column information from OLE DB provider "VFPOLEDB" for linked server "MYDBF".

In fact, if i test on other machines with the same setup (vfp 9.0 driver), i also get the info that the DBF file is corrupted.

Any suggestions on this issue?

Thanks

Michael
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-08 : 00:50:33
Did you map sql login to dbf user? Or say does sql service account have permission in dbf?
Go to Top of Page

fyz
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 00:57:57
Hi,

You may need to replace your dbf file with a backup. If you don't have any backup, I think you can try some repair tools. I have used a tool called Advanced DBF Repair to repair my DBF database. I think you can just try the free demo at http://www.datanumen.com/adr/.

Just post to hope this still can be useful.

fyz
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:53:06
You need promote your tool?
Go to Top of Page

daspeac
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2009-11-10 : 09:39:00
Hi rmiao. No, you are wrong, such tools often help. For example, I recommend trying the repair dbf file application that can be found at: http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/visual_foxpro_dbf_repair_tools.html and comparing it with this tool. make your opinion, which one works faster and recovers more data
Go to Top of Page

Houssine
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-22 : 08:09:52
I just read this. As you mentioned that most of your DBF files are readable but few are unreadable. I think those files of your which seem unreadable are corrupt. Just one thing always keep in your mind that corruption can make a file unreadable or useless. And due to this file becomes inaccessible. Any corrupt or damaged file can't be accessed until it gets fully repaired. All you need just remove the error from your DBF files and after doing this you can access those corrupt files. The data inside those files will be readable right after you repair them. You just need to consider about a software program or shall I suggest you about a tool which I have used?

Check this one: "SysInfoTools DBF Recovery" tool.

It will help you as it helped me. Just try its demo version to see the preview of the content of the files which are unreadable.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

TekTel_99
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-07-04 : 02:48:41
"Kernel recovery for DBF" is very proficient tool that effectively repairs DBF files for both severe and minor corruption. The utility is provided with the advanced algorithms that ensures efficient data recovery from the corrupt database files. The Kernel recovery for DBF should be used to retrieve data from the inaccessible or damaged DBF files. The utility performs deep scan of the system to find the all DBF files. To know more about the tool visit unspammed
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -