Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Barcode Scanner Implementation

Author  Topic 

bferriter
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-26 : 12:34:56
One of our remote facilities is a Warehouse. I already have in place a SQL server with an access MDB frontend handling the inventory at that facility (it's a watered down version of the management version at the main facility). The upper management is planning on purchasing a barcode scanner for inventory. It has been requested of me to implement this somehow with the existing inventory system.

Has anyone done this? Can you suggest a product (scanner) that has sufficient software for me to implement it? I'd hate to let them get something that is so proprietary i can't work with it.. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

--------------------
Brian
One man with 5 hats.

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-26 : 12:41:15
google?

http://www.ptshome.com/

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

bferriter
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-26 : 12:44:40
Googling isn't one of the hats. :)

Thats a good link though, Thanks.

--------------------
Brian
One man with 5 hats.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-26 : 22:41:06
quote:

Googling isn't one of the hats. :)

--You're not a DBA?

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-26 : 23:29:53
The term "Barcode scanner" covers a lot of territory, from a point of sale device to something that is portable wireless terminal for use in a warehouse. Without knowing what you are up to, it is hard to say what you need.

I worked at a place where we developed a warehouse application for doing pick lists for distribution of inventory to stores. We used Symbol hand held scanner terminals. We had an application running in the scanner terminal that would send data to/from a SQL Server datebase on the backend to direct a picker to the product locations to be picked, and record the inventory changes at each bin as they picked products from it. It had a small keypad on the terminal for entering amounts. The physical interface was through wireless access points located in the warehouse.

I think Symbol is a fairly mainstream brand, but I really don't know that much about scanners.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

bferriter
Starting Member

34 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-27 : 08:50:09
Michael - When I presented my boss with the information from ptshome.com, he showed me they had already entertained Symbol because one of our customers uses it at their warehouse too. It would be wireless with 2 or 3 access points, something rugged they could trust a forklift driver with.. None of the documentation I could get my hands on describes how it's going to work though. What application did you have running on the scanner terminal, something from Symbol or something you had to write?

derrick - Where do you think I learned how to be a DBA? ;) Seriously though, since I found SQLTeam using google turns out to be a waste of time for questions that I don't know where to start..

--------------------
Brian
One man with 5 hats.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2005-04-27 : 09:22:09
The application on the scanner terminal was a custom one that we developed. I really do not know that much about it, because I only developed the stored procedures. I don't even know what language was used for developement. In any case, this was five years ago, so the tools and software available are probably much better now.

quote:
Originally posted by bferriter

Michael - When I presented my boss with the information from ptshome.com, he showed me they had already entertained Symbol because one of our customers uses it at their warehouse too. It would be wireless with 2 or 3 access points, something rugged they could trust a forklift driver with.. None of the documentation I could get my hands on describes how it's going to work though. What application did you have running on the scanner terminal, something from Symbol or something you had to write?...

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blop
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2005-04-27 : 19:13:03
quote:
Originally posted by bferriter

Brian
One man with 5 hats.

Go to Top of Page

abbyyy
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-23 : 22:08:32
Most of us will shop around before purchasing something. I have ever used a wonderful unspammed. You can download the free trial version. If it's really what you want, you may purchase it.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-24 : 07:08:15
Locking topic due to age and attracting spammers.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -