Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 SQL Server Reporting Services start

Author  Topic 

pwoulfe
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-30 : 04:56:40
Hi,
Can anyone tell me please why I'm not seeing a msg 'service was started successfully' for this function:...see below.
A timer of 7 minutes was added to see if message would appear but nothing. Is this normal? Thanks Pat
------
Starting SQLServer on SS13R on 03/28/2015 at 11:03
Starting SQLServer Services at : 11:03
STARTING SQLServices at : 11:03
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service is starting....
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service was started successfully.

The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service is starting.............
The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service was started successfully.

TIME IS NOW : 11:04
The SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER) service is starting........
COMPLETED STARTING SQLServices AT: 11:11

Pat Woulfe

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-30 : 07:14:00
Might be that SQL is having to rebuild / rollback something that is "massive"?

You might be able to see what it thinks it is doing in the log file. Might not be able to see that in the GUI tools like SSMS [if the service has not yet started], but the physical file is just a text file so can be opened in Notepad etc.

The file is called ERRORLOG (ERRORLOG.1, ERRORLOG.2 etc will have previous versions) and mine is in this location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log

Worth a look in the Event Log too - might be a helpful indication of what is going on, or what failed, in there.
Go to Top of Page

pwoulfe
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-30 : 11:38:27
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

Might be that SQL is having to rebuild / rollback something that is "massive"?

You might be able to see what it thinks it is doing in the log file. Might not be able to see that in the GUI tools like SSMS [if the service has not yet started], but the physical file is just a text file so can be opened in Notepad etc.

The file is called ERRORLOG (ERRORLOG.1, ERRORLOG.2 etc will have previous versions) and mine is in this location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log

Worth a look in the Event Log too - might be a helpful indication of what is going on, or what failed, in there.

Kristen,
Thanks for that...all appears to be ok..it appears just the job is taking longer to run.
Log states that SQL Server Report Service started successfully at 00:06:33 on 29/3/15...a good hour later.
Pat
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-01 : 04:21:14
quote:
Originally posted by pwoulfe

Log states that SQL Server Report Service started successfully at 00:06:33 on 29/3/15...a good hour later.

If it were me I would be wanting to know "why", as it could be indicating trouble ahead ...

If you had a power-cut then it would be reasonable that SQL had a lot of work to do on restart to clean up the databases ...

But if this was a scheduled/clean restart that should not be the case. In that instance first think I would look at is whether any Transaction Logs are not being backed up (e.g. disk full on the backup drive)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -