Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Where are the old timers?

Author  Topic 

Abu-Dina
Posting Yak Master

206 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-08 : 10:05:52
Whatever happened to these guyes?!

Merkin
jsmith8858
nr
derrickleggett
eyechart
rockmoose

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-08 : 12:51:42
eyechart was my manager at my last job. He's still a SQL Server DBA, just not posting on SQLTeam anymore.

Merkin is no longer doing SQL Server stuff. I was in contact with him a couple of years ago on Twitter.

nr is now posting under nigelrivett. He's not as active as he used to be.

Jeff got busy with family and work.

Derrick is now in management and no longer does DBA work. I believe he's like a director of IT or something.

Not sure about rockmoose.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-08 : 13:44:41
We lost Brett to cancer but we still have Tara

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-09 : 07:09:25
As years go by, everyone becomes busy with family and work and do not find enough time to post here. This is why long time members are also not so active.

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-10 : 09:49:08
True. Its been a while since we saw some of the regulars with only exception being Tara and an occasional Kristen or SwePeso

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-10 : 12:18:05
quote:
Originally posted by visakh16

True. Its been a while since we saw some of the regulars with only exception being Tara and an occasional Kristen or SwePeso

I would certainly grant Kristen and SwePeso honorary "old timer" titles because of their contributions to sqlteam but I'd say they are next generation compared to most of that list
12-14 years is a long time to expect anyone to stay actively involved with a forum.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

Abu-Dina
Posting Yak Master

206 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-13 : 08:42:08
quote:
Originally posted by madhivanan

As years go by, everyone becomes busy with family and work and do not find enough time to post here. This is why long time members are also not so active.

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail

That's very true madhivanan.

I think the type of your day-to-day job can influence how much time you spend on forums focused on a specific technology. Between late 2008 and 2012 I hardly visited SQL Server forums as I was doing different kind of work but as soon as I went back into SQL development I found myself back on the forums. However, I do find myself spending more time on www.SQLServerCentral.com I must admit

Anywhoo, wishing you all a great 2014 and very well-done to the old timers who managed to stick around for so long! Good for you!
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-14 : 09:19:08
I can't count myself an old timer but the reason I don't post so much is very simple:

1) I don't spend a lot of time in the DB any more - I spend most of my time designing platforms and API's and more and more time in C# / python.

2) Kids

3) More responsibility makes it harder to spend time here.

I still get a warm glow whenever I need to write some sql server code but most stuff I do simply shouldn't be inside the db.

Charlie.

Transact Charlie
Msg 3903.. The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION.
http://nosqlsolution.blogspot.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-15 : 04:52:16
quote:
Originally posted by TG

I would certainly grant Kristen and SwePeso honorary "old timer" titles because of their contributions to sqlteam but I'd say they are next generation compared to most of that list

Do you mean that you think I'm young? If so that's nice

Do you mean that you think I'm old & wise? If so that's nice

I post here only when I have a question to ask. I've had quite a few to ask recently!

Reason I don't post more is because the software used on this forum is so utterly hopeless, compared to what is standard now, and I resent the amount of time it takes to do simple things here, so I spend my time using other forums where I can do-more-in-time-available.

Want to quote a small piece from O/P's post? Have to press quote and then selectively delete. Want two separate quotes from that one post/several earlier posts? Nightmare of hand-editing.

Modern forum software equivalent: highlight snippet in original post, "Quote this" speech balloon appears, click that. Repeat as you read through the thread. In the REPLY box click on "Insert quotes(99)" to insert all the individual snippets you marked, and then construct reply snippets around each separate quote.

Following threads. In SQL Team use ACTIVE TOPICS and then I get everything that is new/changed since last time. Ones I have replied to are bold, ones I have read are highlighted (i.e. CSS "Visited Link" colour). Click to read, and then I have to manually scroll to where I last read. I'm dyslexic, that takes me "ages" to figure out.

Modern forum software equivalent: replies to any thread you have replied to, or marked "Watch", are in a "Watched" list. Refresh that periodically to see if there is anything new to read. Click on a link and the thread is displayed, automatically scrolled to the first unread message. Mark the thread "Unwatch" if you are no longer interested. If new posts are added as you are reading it a little "alert balloon" appears. Post a reply and it uses AJAX to post it without making a full-page refresh. Editor for the reply is fully WYSIWYG. Upload images (not really relevant here) is concurrent with typing a reply. Effortless and takes seconds to review posts that I am following.

Then I look in the "New posts" - that won't include any posts that I have just read using my "Watched" list (unless I click the "show me ones I have already read")

Its like night and day compared to this dinosaur!
Go to Top of Page

Abu-Dina
Posting Yak Master

206 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-15 : 05:06:08
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

[quote]Originally posted by TG

Reason I don't post more is because the software used on this forum is so utterly hopeless, compared to what is standard now, and I resent the amount of time it takes to do simple things here, so I spend my time using other forums where I can do-more-in-time-available.

Want to quote a small piece from O/P's post? Have to press quote and then selectively delete. Want two separate quotes from that one post/several earlier posts? Nightmare of hand-editing.

Modern forum software equivalent: highlight snippet in original post, "Quote this" speech balloon appears, click that. Repeat as you read through the thread. In the REPLY box click on "Insert quotes(99)" to insert all the individual snippets you marked, and then construct reply snippets around each separate quote.

Following threads. In SQL Team use ACTIVE TOPICS and then I get everything that is new/changed since last time. Ones I have replied to are bold, ones I have read are highlighted (i.e. CSS "Visited Link" colour). Click to read, and then I have to manually scroll to where I last read. I'm dyslexic, that takes me "ages" to figure out.

Modern forum software equivalent: replies to any thread you have replied to, or marked "Watch", are in a "Watched" list. Refresh that periodically to see if there is anything new to read. Click on a link and the thread is displayed, automatically scrolled to the first unread message. Mark the thread "Unwatch" if you are no longer interested. If new posts are added as you are reading it a little "alert balloon" appears. Post a reply and it uses AJAX to post it without making a full-page refresh. Editor for the reply is fully WYSIWYG. Upload images (not really relevant here) is concurrent with typing a reply. Effortless and takes seconds to review posts that I am following.

Then I look in the "New posts" - that won't include any posts that I have just read using my "Watched" list (unless I click the "show me ones I have already read")

Its like night and day compared to this dinosaur!

You've hit the nail on the head Kristen. Was going to mention this in my previous post but didn't want to offend the forum admins lol

I started favouring www.SQLServerCentral.com because the forum software is better oh and they don't have an equivalent of visakh16 answering all questions

Perhaps it's time to start thinking of migrating SQLTeam? It's like 12 years old?!
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-15 : 06:38:59

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-15 : 06:55:16
quote:
Originally posted by Abu-Dina

Perhaps it's time to start thinking of migrating SQLTeam? It's like 12 years old?!

Can I migrate my teenage kids too please?
Go to Top of Page

Abu-Dina
Posting Yak Master

206 Posts

Posted - 2014-01-15 : 07:02:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

quote:
Originally posted by Abu-Dina

Can I migrate my teenage kids too please?

lol... if you struggle to [quote] their teenage lingo then yes go for it
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-03 : 21:14:38
hey Kristen, are you coming to SQL Bits in July?

SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-04 : 02:23:53
I see myself posting less and less due to lack of interest to answer same questions over and over again.
It seems the initiative to search for an answer is missing with the youngsters today and everyone want everything for free and yesterday.
They can't even build up the energy to do a search.

Microsoft SQL Server MVP, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-05 : 13:32:32
quote:
Originally posted by SwePeso

I see myself posting less and less due to lack of interest to answer same questions over and over again.
It seems the initiative to search for an answer is missing with the youngsters today and everyone want everything for free and yesterday.
They can't even build up the energy to do a search.

Microsoft SQL Server MVP, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -