Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 ClearTrace Support Forum
 Last ClearTrace version to support SQL Server 2000

Author  Topic 

olspookishmagus
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-09 : 08:53:04
Hello everyone.

I was wondering on:
Which was the last ClearTrace version to fully support SQL Server 2000?

Thanks in advance.

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-09 : 17:41:42
ClearTrace 2008 should read SQL Server 2000 trace files. ClearTrace 2012 may read them. I've never tested it and I'm not sure SMO will go back three versions.

http://www.scalesql.com/cleartrace/download.aspx

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

olspookishmagus
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-10 : 02:53:11
Well, I could read that from the download page, but thanks for your contribution anyway.

Point is that ClearTrace 2008 would require something among: SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2, to be installed; which is not available.

If there will be some answer specifying the last compatible version with SQL Server 2000, or for all future obsolete SQL Server versions, it would be nice FAQ material.
Go to Top of Page

olspookishmagus
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-10 : 03:04:40
Oh, I see what you meant with your last sentence.

Quoting from SQL Server Management Objects (Wikipedia):

quote:
SMO objects come with SQL Server 2005, and are included in the Express version.

So I guess if ClearTrace begun with SQL Server 2005 (and it's SMO), inquiring for whether there was ever full SQL Server 2000 compatibility, is eligible material for a dbareactions gif. Hope I don't make it there.

Pardon me.
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-11 : 00:26:54
I think I better see what you're asking. You need something with SMO installed to read the trace. That would be 2005 or higher. But it will read 2000 traces. If you only have 2000 I'd look for a utility called Read80Trace from Microsoft. That does the basis of what my utility does.

Go to Top of Page

olspookishmagus
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-11 : 15:09:32
Well, I'm kind of moving forward on this topic, and I will come back with a full post with my findings.

Seems SMO it's not totally incompatible with SQL Server 2000, but I wouldn't like 'monologuing' in this thread so I kept back until there were some responses.

Thanks graz, for your answer, I was actually trying to locate your e-mail address before posting this thread - so I'd appreciate it if you PM'ed me that.
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-12 : 16:09:57
Actually I'd prefer to have the discussion here. That way others benefit from whatever we discuss. If you really want to email me it's just my username at this domain. But I'd prefer any discussion take place here.

And I should clarify something. There never was a version of ClearTrace that *fully* supported SQL Server 2000. There were some versions that could read those trace files but that was it.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -