Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SQL Agent Startup Fail

Author  Topic 

ITTrucker
Yak Posting Veteran

64 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-02 : 10:37:19
What things could I break if I remove and reinstall the Native Client on the server? Can I have a different version of the native client than the database and still have things work? Or am I totally on the wrong track...

SQL Server 2008 SP1 and the SQL Agent have been installed and running for years with no problems. 3 months ago someone installed Microsoft Forecaster on the server and everything seemed to be ok. But when I rebooted the server this weekend for the first time since the install, the SQL Agent won't start anymore. The native client has a new date of the date of the install so I'm assuming that some of the SQL Server programs were updated as part of the install and the reboot caused them to take effect.

Should this be a Microsoft Support call, or is it something simple that I can't find online?

When I try and start the agent through SSMS I get an Unable to start service SQLSERRVERAGENT on server Service Request Timeout (ObjectExplorer).

If I try and start the agent through Services on the server, I get an Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event Viewer:
Faulting application SQLAGENT.EXE, version 2007.100.2531.0, time stamp 0x49cfc850, faulting module sqlncli10.dll, version 6.0.6002.18541, time stamp 0x4ec3e855, exception code 0xc0000135, fault offset 0x00000000000b6fc8, process id 0x18d0, application start time 0x01ceef6c9c90866c.

The agent doesn't seem to be writing any errors to the MSSQL\Log\SQLAGENT.OUT except for when I rebooted the server and I got this:

[130] SQLSERVERAGENT stopping because of Windows shutdown...
[298] SQLServer Error: 160, Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (SQL Server Native Client 10.0). [SQLSTATE IM003]
[382] Logon to server '(local)' failed (SaveAllSchedules)
[298] SQLServer Error: 160, Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (SQL Server Native Client 10.0). [SQLSTATE IM003]
[382] Logon to server '(local)' failed (DisableAgentXPs)
[098] SQLServerAgent terminated (normally)

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-02 : 12:34:27
I am not sure if it would break anything, so I would recommend calling Microsoft for this. Anything we tell you hear is going to be more of a guess/shot in the dark.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

ITTrucker
Yak Posting Veteran

64 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 09:59:25
Forecaster vendor hasn't called back yet, but a DBA for another software company that's installed on that database recommended upgrading to SP3 which should update the Native Client on the server and get it all back on the same version and hopefully working.

Which I couldn't do last night because I couldn't get past the reboot requirement check. Hopefully fixed by a regedit from http://blog.dragonsoft.us/2008/11/08/tip-installing-sql-server-2008-reboot-required-check-fails/

If tonight's upgrade to SP3 works I'll post and maybe save someone else some time in the future.

(Also getting a new SQL error when I run a SP for the first time which looks like more Native Client issues:

Msg 22050, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
Failed to open loopback connection. Please see event log for more information.
Msg 22050, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
Error formatting query, probably invalid parameters

Event Log:
Severity: 16 Error:160, OS: 160 Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (SQL Server Native Client 10.0).
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -