Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Users and Roles

Author  Topic 

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-23 : 08:22:22
maximum how many users can we map to a login

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Trainee SQL Server Database Administrator
Miracle Software systems ,Inc.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-23 : 08:38:19
One per database.
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-23 : 09:23:36
quote:
Originally posted by James K

One per database.

Yes, it is not allowing me to create more than one user for login for the same database. thanks for that.

What to do if i want to give access to 10 clients for one particular database?

Do i need to create one login for each user on that database?

please reply as early as possible.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-23 : 09:41:38
Creating one login for each user is one possibility. Another option, if you are in an AD environment would be to create an active directory group of all the windows users that you want to give access to, and then create a login for that AD group, and then create a single user for that login. This thread describes how to add an AD group as a login http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5029014/how-to-add-active-directory-user-group-as-login-in-sql-server
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-23 : 09:58:25
quote:

Creating one login for each user is one possibility. Another option, if you are in an AD environment would be to create an active directory group of all the windows users that you want to give access to, and then create a login for that AD group, and then create a single user for that login. This thread describes how to add an AD group as a login http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5029014/how-to-add-active-directory-user-group-as-login-in-sql-server

Thank you james.

i will check and i will come back to you.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-23 : 10:38:09
quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

quote:

Thank you james.

i will check and i will come back to you.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,

I have gone through the link which you have sent.

what if all of clients whom i want to give access to are not users of windows operating system?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-24 : 09:56:25
Without Windows, you can't use Window Authentication nor Active Directory Groups.

I think you would need to create 10 separate logins.

Unless this is for access to an Application that uses SQL Server.
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-24 : 11:01:45
Remember: each login has a password, unless it is Windows Authentication. So you can't map more than one user to a Login.
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-24 : 13:28:04
quote:
Originally posted by denis_the_thief

Remember: each login has a password, unless it is Windows Authentication. So you can't map more than one user to a Login.

i am unable to reach you and not able to understand may be due to my half knowledge.

is there any way for me to get what you are saying denis_the_thief?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-24 : 14:08:12
Perhaps this link will help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1134319/difference-between-a-user-and-a-login-in-sql-server

I meant user in terms of a person, that me be the confusion.

I'm not sure if I can explain it well. But a Login and a User are one and the same in a sense. The Login is Server-Wide and the User is really an instance of giving that login access to a Database.

You mentioned you wanted to give 10 people access to a Database, each of those 10 will need their own password. Passwords are associated to Logins (in SQL Server terminology, passwords are not directly associated to Users), hence you will need 10 logins. (Unless you use Windows Authentication/Active Directory Groups)
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-24 : 14:11:43
quote:

what if all of clients whom i want to give access to are not users of windows operating system?

Something is confusing here, getting access to a Database through SSMS? They would need to be on Windows. Or are you talking about a Web App?
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-25 : 02:51:19
quote:

quote:

Something is confusing here, getting access to a Database through SSMS? They would need to be on Windows. Or are you talking about a Web App?

I am sorry.
i know that SQL Server server s/w is only compatible with windows os.
Does SQL Server client s/w is also available only for windows os?
or we can can have for any other operating systems?

I am thinking that SQL Server client s/w is available for linux also.
my assumption is right or not?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

denis_the_thief
Aged Yak Warrior

596 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-25 : 09:27:54
Hi. There should be some 3rd party tools available for linux etc. that can connect to SQL Server. Although I have not used these myself.

Here is a tool I found, never used it, but says it works for sql server and says at the bottom it is available for linux:

http://www.software112.com/products/navicat-premium-cross-database-admin-tools-for-mysql-sqlite-oracle-and-postgresql-for-windows.html
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-25 : 10:44:26
quote:

Hi. There should be some 3rd party tools available for linux etc. that can connect to SQL Server. Although I have not used these myself.

Here is a tool I found, never used it, but says it works for sql server and says at the bottom it is available for linux:

http://www.software112.com/products/navicat-premium-cross-database-admin-tools-for-mysql-sqlite-oracle-and-postgresql-for-windows.html

Thank you .
i will check that.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -