Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 MS Access
 Newbie - Access - Unique Field Values

Author  Topic 

masterkeys
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 07:23:10
Hi,

In our project we have a MS Access Database that contains our fileplan of one of our systems, so we can replicate it easily with Excel to an area we need a copy of it on. We don't have access to the IT Servers as the higher powers that be won't let us, so we can't access the backend to copy and paste the structure.

We have 5 lines

Department (Req.), Section(Req.), Class1 (optional), Class2, (Optional), Folder (Optional)

• Departments, Sections, Classes and Folders must be 100% unique for that department, and not called the same as any department or Section.

• Departments and Sections are Unique i.e. only one department uses the section name, so are not checked themselves for duplicates, but are used in the duplicate comparison.

• Folders can have data, when Class1 and/or Class2 are blank

What I'd really like is to add 2 columns to the table:

Item duplicated and Parent Duplicated. In this context item is the last column from Class to Folder that is filled, and Parent is the layers before this.
Folder can appear with any number of the optional classes empty.

What I need is are 2 simple Yes/No box that lists:

[list=a]
  • If Item name has a duplicate

• If one of the "Parents" has a duplicate, excluding the Department/Section

• [/list]

So I can import the one table to Excel. In the future we may be going to a proper SQL DB, so if a solution can work in Access and proper SQL DB without many changes would be great.

Also we have some old IT Systems we need to replicate this on, so the DB needs to be Access 2003 and Access 2010 compliant.

If you need any more info please don't hessitate to ask, and thank you in advance for any help

Masterkeys

- Advertisement -