Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 sql server setup processor and i/o affinity

Author  Topic 

rinksindahouz
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-10-02 : 14:40:58
We recently purchased a large server (w.r.t our company size) consisting of 4 socket x 8 core x 2 hyper threading (64 logical cores) and 256 gig RAM. The idea is to install multiple SQL 2008 instances to support different application and assign processor and i/o affinity for each instance.

We have installed our first such SQL serve instance and i need some direction with configuring and setup of cpu and io affinities. For our first instance we have decided to assign 32 processors to this instance and leave i/o affinity as auto. I have read this isn't advisable since we could have situation where the same processor and io assigned to same cpu causing performance issue. Below is a snapshot of how i have it setup. We have a total of 8 NUMA grouping and i am alternating the cpu per ea numa so as to balance the load.

Question

1) is this advisable setup? Or should i uncheck auto i/o affinity. Example i would check cpi1, cpu3, cpu5...for i/o affinity. Basically not sharing same processor for both processor and i/o affinity?

2) Once i install a second 2008 instance and would be assigning processor and i/o affinity as well..basically utilize the remaining 32 cpus. This is where my confusion is. On second instance i would be selecting and assigning cpu for processor and i/o which are different form first instance correct? For example for new instance i would assign cpu1, 3, 5, ...for processor and cpu0,2,4... for i/o. With this setup am i gaining anything?

3) We are noticing high disk os time with certain drive specially the drive containing the tempdb and we have a total of 16 tempdb. Is the high os disk time due to current i/o affinity set to auto ?

image link [url]https://unsee.cc/ruhopi/[/url]

- Advertisement -