Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 SQL 2008 Installation

Author  Topic 

Villanuev
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

478 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-02 : 01:57:16
Hi Guys,

I have installed SQL Server 2008 to one of my PC. I will use this as our server for SQL training Lab. I've use dafault instance for my instance configuration which its appear MSSQLSERVER as instance ID. Then for the server configuration I used the same account for all SQL server services which the account name and password is came from the username and password of the workstation (pc). i have use windows authentication for database engine configuration. btw, what is the use of specify SQL server administator in the mixed mode?

after installation i check the status (under services) of SQL Server(MSSQLSERVER) which is started, includes SQL sever agent, SQL server browser which the status is started.

My Question are the following:

1. When logging in the SQL, the username accepted is (local) not (MSSQLSERVER) which is my default instance. it display in Object Explorer like this (local)(SQL Server XX.XX.XXX-PHD12345\lab.test). anyway. i already created a database name and its called TestDB.

2. I have a desktop with installed SQL 2008 as client. i want this to connect or access the server that i created. my problem is Why i cannot connect or access that server? Any idea guys. thanks.

I tried this :

Server name: PHD12345\lab.test

Authentication : Windows Authentication

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-02 : 04:18:59
Assume username means server name? The default instance can be accessed on the local machine by the machine name, (local) or .
MSSQLSERVER is used for the service.

Does the server allow remote connections? Can you ping the server?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-02 : 14:34:48
Is the 'server' on the domain? If not, there are a few things you need to do to be able to use windows authentication. Specifically, you have to create an account on the 'server' and grant that account access to SQL Server. Next, you have to create the same account with the same password on the desktop you are using.

That is supposed to work, but I have not had great success with it.

As for connecting, you also need to modify the configuration of SQL Server to allow remote connections and enable TCP/IP.
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-02 : 20:49:26
Yes. the username is the servername which is the PHD12345.
the lab.test is the login name.

I try to ping the server (PC) and it was succesful. enable remote connection is already done and TCP/IP is also enabled.

Btw, do i need to create a new account in the server to be use by client computer to access the server?
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-02 : 21:09:37
try to login in my cleint pc to server(PC) which i got this error.

Servertype: Database Engine
Servername: PHD12345/lab.test or PHD12345/MSSQLSERVER
Authentication: Windows authentication

Cannot connect to PHD12345\lab.test or PHD12345\MSSQLSERVER

===================================

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 20:58:26
Its working already. just reinstall the whole SQL then make configuration with the user accessing or connecting to server.

thanks guys for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -