Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Newbie question

Author  Topic 

anjumkha
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-01 : 19:59:14
I know some SQL ( Ben Forta crash course and Head First SQL), I also know basic C#
Question:
I want to create a database to use in Medical Field.
I just bought Murach SQL server 2008 book.

Will this book guide me to create a database?
DO I really need to learn ADO.net?

Thanks

MK

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-01 : 21:29:22
I am not familiar with Murach's book, but any SQL book should give you sufficient information to create a database and get started.

If you want to communicate with SQL Server from a C# client program, one of the basic means for doing that is ADO.Net. So I would think that you do need to learn ADO.Net.
Go to Top of Page

anjumkha
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 11:04:39
Thanks for the reply.
Actually my question should have been : Can I make and distribute a database using Ms Sql server and management studio 2008 R2 ?

Thanks

M K
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 13:25:32
You can create a database, populate it and work with it if you have SQL Server and Management Studio 2008R2.

For distributing the database, you will need SQL Server at the client site as well. Which means they will need to purchase the appropriate licenses from Microsoft.

SQL Server has an Express Edition which is free to distribute. There are some feature limitations to Express edition of the server. If your requirements are within those limitations, that may be an option for you.
Go to Top of Page

anjumkha
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 14:25:04
James:

THanks for the reply.

Do I still need to study Ado.net, if I am using sql mgmt studio to make a DB?

M K
Go to Top of Page

waterduck
Aged Yak Warrior

982 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-03 : 21:36:06
why not linq?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -