Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 Help understanding an insert statment please
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eagle_f90
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  11:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Eagle_f90's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have been tasked to rewrite an old stored proc to work with a new DB schema and going though the old proc to try to understand what it does I ran across an insert statement I had not seen before.

insert @LocaleList
select cast(text as int)
  from fn_spr_parse_string(@LocaleMulti, ',')

I know it is inserting into the varable @LocaleList (which is a temp table with a single coluimn called LocalID of INT). What I can't figure out is why there is only a cast statement in the select and what the fn_spr_parse_string is (hidden proc maybe?) @LocaleMulti is a comma sperated list that is feed into the extisting proc.

I am kind of thinking by some maject it is just splitting the @LocaleMulti based off ',' but I am not 100% on that or how it would be doing so if it is.

--
If I get used to envying others...
Those things about my self I pride will slowly fade away.
-Stellvia

James K
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

3873 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  11:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fn_spr_parse_string is probably a string splitter function that takes two parameters - the string to be split and the delimiter. If you open up object explorer in SSMS and navigate down to databasename -> Programmability -> Functions -> Table-valued Functions, you should see it.

The function is returning a column named text as a string; the cast is casting that column to int.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle_f90
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  11:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Eagle_f90's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I did fine it under the functions section and it does look to do the splitting.

--
If I get used to envying others...
Those things about my self I pride will slowly fade away.
-Stellvia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000