Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2012)
 How to query first, last, min, max?

Author  Topic 

ryan_hunter1200
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-01 : 18:37:52
I want to take a bunch of stock trade prices and determine the first, last, high, and low prices.

example:

SELECT FIRST(Price), LAST(Price), MAX(Price), MIN(Price) FROM my_table_of_stock_trades WHERE Symbol='IBM' and TradeTime > '01/01/2013 12:00:00' AND TradeTime < '01/01/2013 12:15:00'

Right now I am having to break this up into multiple queries to get the First, Last, and High/Low (SELECT TOP 1 Price WHERE ... ORDER BY TradeTime) and then flip it the other way for the last.

It is not a big deal if I am querying this once or twice, but I want to query this thousands of times a minute and it is just too slow.

Ideally, I would like to eventually do a GROUP BY Symbol and get data on every symbol for the time period:

SELECT Symbol, FIRST(Price), LAST(Price), MAX(Price), MIN(Price) FROM my_table_of_stock_trades WHERE TradeTime > '01/01/2013 12:00:00' AND TradeTime < '01/01/2013 12:15:00' GROUP BY Symbol

Can you please point me in the right direction to do this as quickly and efficiently as possible? There is no concept of FIRST/LAST in SQL Server 2008. I am prepared to install SQL 2012 if there is a better way to do this? If not, what do you think is the fastest way to do this with the GROUP BY?

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-01 : 21:57:08
[code]
; with cte as
(
select *,
rn = row_number() over (partition by Symbol order by TradeTime),
cnt = count(*) over (partition by Symbol)
from my_table_of_stock_trades
WHERE Symbol = 'IBM'
and TradeTime > '01/01/2013 12:00:00'
AND TradeTime < '01/01/2013 12:15:00'
)
SELECT [FIRST] = max(case when rn = 1 then Price end),
[LAST] = max(case when rn = cnt then Price end),
[MIN] = min(Price),
[MAX] = max(Price)
FROM cte [/code]

KH
[spoiler]Time is always against us[/spoiler]

Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-02 : 09:55:13
2012 has FIRST_VALUE, LAST_VALUE etc so you may use this too

SELECT FIRST_VALUE(Price) OVER (partition by Symbol order by TradeTime) AS [FIRST],
FIRST_VALUE(Price) OVER (partition by Symbol order by TradeTime ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING) AS [LAST],
min(Price) OVER (partition by Symbol) AS [MIN],
max(Price) OVER (partition by Symbol) AS [MAX],
FROM my_table_of_stock_trades
WHERE Symbol = 'IBM'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VmBlogs
Go to Top of Page

ryan_hunter1200
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-02 : 12:32:16
khtan,

thank you for the sql query. this works very well!

I am trying to modify this for my GROUP BY exchange (so I group by symbol -- so i do this for every symbol in the table for the time period and not just 'IBM') but I cannot figure it out.

SELECT Symbol, FIRST(Price), LAST(Price), MAX(Price), MIN(Price) FROM my_table_of_stock_trades WHERE TradeTime > '01/01/2013 12:00:00' AND TradeTime < '01/01/2013 12:15:00' GROUP BY Symbol

how do I use your approach for the group by?

The Row_number() OVER (Partition ..) is something i saw when I googled this issue but i have to admit it is very confusing. with your working example, I find this is very helpful, so thank you very much.

Can you kindly help with a GROUP BY solution? the only solution I have right now is to use a CURSOR over every DISTINCT(Symbol) during the time period and run your query. But this is much too expensive. If I can modify your query to return first/last/high/low for each distinct symbol during the time period that would be precise. thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by khtan

; with cte as
(
select *,
WHERE Symbol = 'IBM'
)
[MIN] = min(Price),
[MAX] = max(Price)
FROM cte

Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-02 : 13:31:23
quote:
Originally posted by ryan_hunter1200

khtan,

thank you for the sql query. this works very well!

I am trying to modify this for my GROUP BY exchange (so I group by symbol -- so i do this for every symbol in the table for the time period and not just 'IBM') but I cannot figure it out.

how do I use your approach for the group by?

The Row_number() OVER (Partition ..) is something i saw when I googled this issue but i have to admit it is very confusing. with your working example, I find this is very helpful, so thank you very much.

Can you kindly help with a GROUP BY solution? the only solution I have right now is to use a CURSOR over every DISTINCT(Symbol) during the time period and run your query. But this is much too expensive. If I can modify your query to return first/last/high/low for each distinct symbol during the time period that would be precise. thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by khtan

; with cte as
(
select *,
WHERE Symbol = 'IBM'
)
[MIN] = min(Price),
[MAX] = max(Price)
FROM cte

did you try my suggestion? is it any better?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

ryan_hunter1200
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-02 : 16:46:55
Hi Visakh16,

I did not try your solution because I do not have SQL 2012 installed. I obviously would prefer to stick with sql2008 if I can (assuming 2012 has some performance benefit for this type of query).

Do you think the other solution can be tweaked to work with a GROUP BY or do I need to upgrade to 2012 to do what I am looking for?
Go to Top of Page

visakh16

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-03 : 09:29:05
quote:
Originally posted by ryan_hunter1200

Hi Visakh16,

I did not try your solution because I do not have SQL 2012 installed. I obviously would prefer to stick with sql2008 if I can (assuming 2012 has some performance benefit for this type of query).

Do you think the other solution can be tweaked to work with a GROUP BY or do I need to upgrade to 2012 to do what I am looking for?

I thought you're on sql 2012 as you posted this on SQL 2012 forum
I missed the part in your post where you specified you're on SQL 2008.

for your case this is enough i guess.

; with cte as
(
select *,
WHERE Symbol = 'IBM'
)
SELECT Symbol,
[FIRST] = max(case when rn = 1 then Price end),
[MIN] = min(Price),
[MAX] = max(Price)
FROM cte
GROUP BY Symbol

SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -