Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 distribution db corruption

Author  Topic 

kalyani.esl
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-26 : 15:32:54
Distribution is on separate server C of sqlserver 2012.
I have transactional replication of publisher on Server A and
distributor on Server B.
If distribution crashes on Server C and i restore the distribution database with latest available backup will replication resume back.

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-27 : 19:15:10
Originally, I thought that this would be a straight forward answer to a straight forward question. The Distributor is tasked with insuring that each Subscriber gets the data changes. It does not commit the change until each Subscriber acknowledges receipt of the change. Simple. Then I re-read your question and I became perplexed. If the Distributor is on B how could it crash on C? If the C server crashed, how could restoring anything on B fix C? I'm not sure if I understand your situation but if I do... Server A will continue to make changes and report them to the Distributor on B. The Distributor on B will continue to TRY to talk to the Subscriber on C. Since C has crashed, it won't be able to. If a sufficient amount of time elapses, the Distributor will give up and declare that a new snapshot is required. The actual timeout value is a configurable aspect of your publication. If server C can be brought back within time, the Distibutor will complete the data change and carry on as normal. If you restore the Subscriber database on C within the timeout window, I'm not sure whether the Distributor will recognize that the databases are out of sync but I suspect that it will and demand a new snapshot. (I could be wrong about that)

HTH

PS, If I don't really understand your situation, please feel free to ignore this completely.

=================================================
The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea. -Isak Dinesen
Go to Top of Page

kalyani.esl
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-28 : 15:17:58
I am sorry it was a typo.
Distribution is on separate server C of sqlserver 2012.
I have transactional replication of publisher on Server A and
subscriber on Server B.
If distribution crashes on Server C and i restore the distribution database with latest available backup will replication resume back.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-08-29 : 19:08:58
"That's an excellent question!" which is my way of saying that I have no idea. I would, however, be very interested in finding out the results of your restore. Take a look at the "sync with backup" setting in BOL to see if this might be an answer to your issue.

=================================================
The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea. -Isak Dinesen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -