Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Help with joining status

Author  Topic 

Kroni
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 08:31:03
Hello Everyone!

this is my first post here. I have certain issues with sql code i have to modify

SELECT status, COUNT(status) AS #machines, MIN(recorddate) AS startdate FROM citrix
WHERE pool='POOL6668'
recorddate BETWEEN '2013-07-18' AND '2013-07-18 22:00'
GROUP BY status
ORDER BY status, startdate;

Im using this inside a VBL script to create a Excel sheet.

Now my Problem is with the status part. There are 4 choices i could get back "used,unknown, ready or accessdenied"

Now i want to extract those 4 status into an excel sheet into a graph. BUT i want to extract two together into one colum (so i want to put unknown and accessdenied together), so instead of 4 status choices i want only 3 to appear on my graph (1,2+4,3)

so how do i put these together into a nice SQL command?

bandi
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2242 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 08:40:20
SELECT CASE WHEN status IN ('unknown', 'accessdenied') THEN 'BothTogether'
ELSE status END CustomisedStatus

,COUNT(status) AS #machines, MIN(recorddate) AS startdate
FROM citrixc
WHERE pool='POOL6668'
recorddate BETWEEN '2013-07-18' AND '2013-07-18 22:00'
GROUP BY CASE WHEN status IN ('unknown', 'accessdenied') THEN 'BothTogether' ELSE status END
ORDER BY status, startdate;

--
Chandu
Go to Top of Page

Kroni
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 08:53:39
there is still a mistake there.

i think it is that when i do COUNT(status) and i get BothTogether instead, he might not be happy with that.

or Code: 8127, SQL State: S1000] Column "citrix.status" is invalid in the ORDER BY clause because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause.
... 1 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.000/0.000 sec [0 successful, 0 warnings, 1 errors]

Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 09:04:58
To fix the order by problem, make the change to Chandu's query as shown below
ORDER BY CustomisedStatus, startdate;
Regarding the counts, if you have aggregated the four statuses into 3 custom statuses, doesn't it make sense that you get only 3 rows, and so one count for each row. How shold the 3 statuses and four counts be returned if indeed you want to get 4 counts?
Go to Top of Page

Kroni
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 09:18:51
well i want to get back 3 counts indeed and yea 3 rows because im basically turning 2 counts into one (the unknown and accessdenied) thus also just having 3 rows.

the bothtogether row, the used, and the ready row

not really sure what your question is, but im starting to confuse myself by now too.

Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 09:33:13
My question was about what you said here:
quote:
there is still a mistake there.
i think it is that when i do COUNT(status) and i get BothTogether instead, he might not be happy with that.

If Chandu's query does not give you what you are looking for, if you can post a sample of the exact output that you want to get, someone should be able to modify the query to meet your requirements.
Go to Top of Page

Kroni
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 10:00:04
I feel like the querry is good now, but i need further testing next part is to modify the VB-script to give me the excel output i want.

regards
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -