Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Domain Service Account has db_datareader mistake

Author  Topic 

ostinoh
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-18 : 15:36:59
Hello -

Found out that the DBA before me had db_datareader checked for a sensitive database. Now as I understand it that grants Select on all tables within that database. Correct?

This same service account also has a Securables set up to a View I'll call (A). The view is the only thing this Service Account should be able to select and see. View (A) calls up other tables in the same databases as well just as a side note.

My question is if I removed the db_datareader on that Servicve Account will that account now not be able to Select from the underlieing tables?

I hope that makes sense. We are to fix this with breaking the app but wanted to lock down the database.

Regards,
David

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-18 : 16:45:59
As long as all of the objects referenced in the view live in the same database, then GRANT SELECT ON <View Name> To <UserName> will suffice.
Go to Top of Page

ostinoh
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-19 : 08:43:31
Russell -

Thank you... That is the answer I was looking and hoping for.

Regards,
Go to Top of Page

ostinoh
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-19 : 09:23:48
quote:
Originally posted by russell

As long as all of the objects referenced in the view live in the same database, then GRANT SELECT ON <View Name> To <UserName> will suffice.

Russell -

Well I spoke to soon. After re-looking at the view I found that there is another database with referenced tables that are part of a Inner Join, Left Join and From.

How does that affect what I can do?

Regards,
David
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -