Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2012)
 Export Dates from SQL Server to Excel

Author  Topic 

newnoise
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-16 : 22:53:58
I'm having an issue when trying to import a SQL query into Excel. When importing a variable in that has a date or datetime format in SQL, Excel invariably imports the values as strings rather than as dates. I've tried using cast/convert to change the date format, but the same thing always happens: Excel imports the field with the new formatting attached to it, but regardless of its format, it comes into Excel as a string. This is causing problems, for example, when I try to apply filters to this newly imported field. A date field in Excel can be filtered by date component (years/months/days), but a string field shows all values as distinct rather than connecting, say, all values that have '2013' as their year.

Does anyone know how to get a SQL Server date field to import AS A DATE into Excel? I'm using VBA to do the import, relying on a QueryTable and SQL string.

SQL Server 2012

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 04:30:57
Did you format the cell as datetime?

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-29 : 05:27:18
Did you export the column as DATETIME? If not, make sure you are using hyphens to try to convince Excel the content is a date.

Microsoft SQL Server MVP, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -