Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 general question

Author  Topic 

swathi3003
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-27 : 00:26:11
Hi Every One,

Can we implement/run an application with huge data without using any database like oracle,ms sql etc..is there any way to run an application like CDSS(CLinical Decision support system) what i heard they never used any database...any one has any idea????

Thanks..

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2013-06-27 : 00:53:18
Yes, of course.
Technically a database is just an organized collection of data. It doesn't have to be what is currently considered a normal RDBMS. There are a whole lot of options out there. Including a bunch of emerging "nosql" products. Or you could go completely old school and organize the data yourself using in-memory structures or the filesystem. An application may not need any database as all depending on what its function is.

My limited understanding of CDSS is that even if you go with a non-knowledge based system you will still need to store a ton of rules and/or some very complex algorithms for decision making. So I would say you would need some kind of database.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -