Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Windows Authentication Login Creation issue

Author  Topic 

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 02:29:37
I am very new to administering SQL Server 2012. I am starting to study for the Certification Exam 70-462. One of the very first things I tried to do was to create a Windows Login for SQL Server (I had always used sa up to this point).

Of course I immediately ran into issues. I'm not sure why SQL Server is not finding my Windows Login?

Here is a screen capture showing both the Windows Login ("Scott"), and the attempted creation of the SQL Server Windows Authentication - hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction?

All help appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott MacDonald
Tucson, AZ

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 03:25:02
Try changing location to Entire Directory
Go to Top of Page

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 11:23:59
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be a choice ... "FROGROOM-PC" is the only choice (long story on the computer name here ;) )

s
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 16:41:44
Click Advanced button, and then "Find Now" button. That should give you a list of all the valid Windows users.
Go to Top of Page

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 17:26:20
Thank you - I did not know about that one.

The screenshot is below - I'm seeing most everything EXCEPT my login.

Very strange.

Go to Top of Page

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 17:37:05
This is really annoying me - I popped up my Windows Users list next to the "Advanced/Find Now" results - and you'll note that even though "Scott" appears in the Windows Users list, the same entry does not appear in the SQL Server list.

Hopefully someone knows what this means - because I do not. I do appreciate your getting me to this point though.

Go to Top of Page

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 17:38:44
And here is the image that didn't show above - sorry about that.

Go to Top of Page

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-11 : 17:42:42
And just for grins I created a new account on my computer - in my Wife's name, and very simply created a SQL Server Windows Authentication account for her.

So something about my Windows Login is screwed up.

I can live with that - I just need to know how to make this work in general, not specifically for me. :D

Have a good day all!

s
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-12 : 10:16:21
Very strange indeed! My knowledge of the Windows internals is sketchy at best, so I don't have any thoughts on why this is happening. If you do find the reasons, please post back so all can learn. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool

1834 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-13 : 19:25:14
When we enter Windows Users as Logins we specify it in the format of DOMAINNAME\UserName.

=================================================
I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts. (Mark Twain)
Go to Top of Page

Scott85730
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-14 : 00:02:48
Understood - but if you look farther down, you'll note that "Scott" wasn't even appearing in the list at *all*.

Something up with that Windows User Profile. I got it to work with a new profile though.

Thank you.

s
quote:
Originally posted by Bustaz Kool

When we enter Windows Users as Logins we specify it in the format of DOMAINNAME\UserName.

=================================================
I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts. (Mark Twain)

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -