Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 User Authentication

Author  Topic 

fjnlsa11
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:49:38
I am connected to SQL Server 2000 using SSMS 2008. I have a user (for example, UserName: SQL1
I usually login with Windows Authentication. I want to change this to SQL Authentication but it is not accepting my old password in order to do this. I logged in using the SA account to see if I can make the change for user: SQL1 but I can't locate where I can do this. Any ideas? Thanks.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 15:57:38
You don't enter a password when connecting via Windows Authentication
Go to Top of Page

fjnlsa11
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 16:16:37
Russell, thanks for replying. I am not sure if my post was clear enough. I am looking to login as SQL Authentication which does require a password -- (currently I am logging in as Windows Authentication). It looks like it is enabled for mixed mode but I am getting denied when I tried to login. When I login as SA, how can I change the password for another user? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 16:32:28
Mixed mode does not mean that you can login with the same login name in Windows Authentication mode AND in SQL Authentication mode. If you want to login in SQL Authentication mode, create another login, designating it as SQL login when you create it, and supplying a password.
Go to Top of Page

fjnlsa11
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 16:37:19
James. For the user: SQL1 can I change this from Windows Authentication to SQL Authentication? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 17:01:26
One way to do this is to drop the login and recreate it. When you do that, you will lose all the privileges you have granted to the user/login; any schemas they own will have to be reassigned etc.

Another possibility - and I don't know if SQL 2000 supports it - is to create a new SQL login and associate the database user with this new login.
Go to Top of Page

fjnlsa11
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 18:06:37
Thanks for the follow up. I am not sure what schemas the user owns. I don't need to use this for that long. I guess I will just create another user account, at least I know now I can't do what I was looking to do. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -