Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Server Offline Error

Author  Topic 

macbeth37
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-03 : 15:44:48
Hi, I apologize if this is not the place to ask this, but here goes. I have 4 pc's on my network and they all are connected just fine, I can share files between them etc. I also have a program that runs on all 4 that is an sql server database which works great. I have another program I use which also has an sql server database but has a problem. Sql server is installed on computer A and computers B and C can access it just fine. Computer D, however gives me a "server offline" error within the program itself. Now to confuse things, I did have sql server installed on computer D and all 4 computers could access it fine, but for whatever reason it stopped working. If I reset my router it worked, then became intermittent, then stopped working altogether, displaying the "server offline" error on computer A only. I replaced my router, just in case. Where should I start trying to fix this issue. I prefer that sql server is installed on computer A and would like to get computer D to be able to access it. Thank you so much in advance!

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-03 : 16:33:44
Go through the steps in this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/09/30/sql-server-2005-remote-connectivity-issue-troubleshooting.aspx

It says it is for SQL 2005, but it is applicable for other versions as well.
Go to Top of Page

macbeth37
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 08:05:40
Thank you for the reply, I did what I could do (I'm not very techie!) everything seems to be ok, but I still cannot connect to the server from this laptop. The information seems to be more if you can't connect at all, but 2 other computers on my network have no problem. Thanks for any help!
Go to Top of Page

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 08:14:01
quote:
Originally posted by macbeth37

Thank you for the reply, I did what I could do (I'm not very techie!) everything seems to be ok, but I still cannot connect to the server from this laptop. The information seems to be more if you can't connect at all, but 2 other computers on my network have no problem. Thanks for any help!

The article covers what you need to look at on both ends - i.e., the box TO WHICH you are trying to connect to and the box FROM WHICH you are trying to connect to. So the fact that you are able to connect from two other computers, but not from a third may indicate that everything is ok on the server side, but there may be something not quite right on the third computer.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -