Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 SSRS Security

Author  Topic 

SunnyDee
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 09:00:20
Good morning,

I have followed the instructions for setting up user security but have had many issues. Using the Site Settings --> Security, I have set up users and groups with the role of 'System User'. It is my understanding that this gives them access to the SSRS site as whole, correct?

Users can access the site, but get the error message RSAccess denied when attempting to run reports. I have set up the authentication to be windows based. I also have reports set up with SQL authentication. I get the same error message in both cases.

I have given users folder level security with the role browser and my reports. This error message can only be resolved by giving the users access to the data set. Is this the normal behavior? In everything I have read about security, it does not mention that I need to give access to the data set to the users. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with either the SSRS server set up or user authentication to the database.

Note: If I store the credentials of the data source securely in the server (using a super user and password that has access to all tables and views in the database), I am still getting this message. The only thing that seems to give the users access is at the dataset level. Is this normal SSRS Security behavior?

Many thanks

SunnyDee
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2013-07-25 : 13:50:00
I am having the same issue. The only way users can run reports is to give them access at the dataset level. THis does not seem to match the documentation.
Go to Top of Page

SunnyDee
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2013-09-12 : 16:27:17
Is anyone else having this issue? I am not understanding why I need to give users access to the dataset when they have access to the report already?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -