Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Query for making a report - Row to column

Author  Topic 

jacmarpet
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 07:45:26
Hello,

I am attempting to pull out data from a PostgreSQL database(standard SQL syntax) and use this data to create a report of user data from a system.

It is important that I get unique rows of each user, since having more than one will result in the report containing multiple records of the same person.

Here are the tables that I work with:

Table1:

Table2:

Table3:

The identity_id(Table1) equals the cat_item_id(Table2).
The attribute_id(Table2) equals attribute_id(Table3).

What I want as output, is a row per identity_id, that looks like this:

-----identity_id-----first_name----last_name----XATTRIB-CPR----XATTRIBEmail----XATTRIBPrimaryEmpaffi----AndTheRest---
--1--1GF7DKL32LH-------James--------Johnson-----54353453543----test@test.com---SomethingSomething-------valuevalue---
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it sort of converts all the rows in Table 2, into 1 row, and at the same time, pulls the display_value of each of them, from Table3, and uses it as the column header, while putting in the value for that specific attribute(from Table2). I am able to get a table with all the data, but with a record for each attribute_id, which I can't use unfortunately. It would become a very spammy report.

Anyone able to crack this one, cause my brain can't!

Jacob.

bandi
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2242 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 07:53:02
In SQL Server, we can use PIVOT for this kind of queries
I think you need query for PostgreSQL.. Its better to post in specific forums of PostgreSQL....
There might be syntactical differences between SQL Server and PostgreSQL

--
Chandu
Go to Top of Page

bandi
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2242 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 08:06:20
In SQL Server, the solution looks like this...
SELECT *
FROM (SELECT t1.*, t3.*
FROM Table1 t1
JOIN Table2 t2 ON t1.identity_id = t2.cat_item_id
JOIN Table3 t3 ON t3.attribute_id = t2.attribute_id
) p
PIVOT (SELECT MAX(display_value) FOR attribute_name IN ([XATTRIB-CPR], [XATTRIBEmail], [XATTRIBPrimaryEmpaffiliation], [XATTRIBWFInitiator] ))pvt

EDIT: This link may help you for PostgrSQL query
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/14-CrossTab-Queries-in-PostgreSQL-using-tablefunc-contrib.html
--
Chandu
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -