Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Restoring database without non-clustered indexes?

Author  Topic 

ferrethouse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 13:20:13
I'm moving to a new AWS instance that has 2 120 gig ephemeral SSDs. I don't trust ephemeral storage enough to put my main data files on it so I will be using NAS drives for them. Currently I am planning on putting just tempdb on it. But I was also considering having a separate data file for some largely read-only non-clustered indexes.

My question is, if the ephemeral drives were lost would I be able to restore the database without some of the non-clustered indexes (which I could recreate from scripts after the restore).

I am planning on testing this scenario but am looking for some expert advice.

Thanks.

ferrethouse

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 18:19:57
My testing indicates that sql server does not enjoy having drives with indexes on them disappear. I think I'll play it safe here and not put any indexes on ephemeral drives.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-23 : 11:07:46
NAS is a poor choice for database files.
Go to Top of Page

ferrethouse

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 18:13:39
quote:
Originally posted by russell

NAS is a poor choice for database files.

It is the only real choice in a virtualized cloud environment like AWS. I've seriously considered the local SSDs but don't like the risk since they are ephemeral. We've been running in AWS for about a year now and with provisioned IOPS we get pretty good performance from their EBS volumes (NAS). Can provision up to 2000 IOPS guaranteed.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -