Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Setting Policies for Which Server Runs a File Watc

Author  Topic 

jbates99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

396 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-21 : 22:36:57
hi all,
We have contracted with a software vendor who insists on running their File Watcher process/service on the *database* server.
I say the File Watcher, which polls a certain path to detect when new files are ready to process - should run on the Application server.

Does anyone have any convincing opinions?
Thanks, Jack

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 08:46:52
As a practical matter, it probably does not matter, assuming that the filewatcher is a lightweight application such as one using System.IO.FileSystemWatcher in .Net. If the folders being monitored are on the app server, app server would be the ideal choice and vice versa.

Your desire to keep the database server pristine, with no extraneous applications or components running on it is a good one. In short, while I favor keeping it out of the database server, if the vendor has a valid reason for having it on the database server, I would relent.
Go to Top of Page

jbates99

396 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 09:23:15
Thank you, James. We discovered this "requirement" late in the game, just before implementation. I may lose this "battle", LOL.
Jack
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 15:15:50
I think it will also depend on what the file watcher does...most likely, the reason it has to be installed on the database servers is because it uses SSIS or BCP to process the files into the database system.

If it is using BCP - it can be moved with no issues. If using SSIS - it would require SSIS to be installed on the server where it is running *and* will need to be licensed separately.
Go to Top of Page

jbates99

396 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-23 : 20:01:27
Good points, James and Jeff. I don't think it uses an SSIS package but I should confirm that. It polls for new files every second or so.
Thanks. Jack
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-25 : 00:55:12
Don't let anything run on your production SQL Servers except for SQL Server. That is a best practice.

What you choose to do may consider other factors, but a service such as you describe need not run on the production SQL Servers.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -