Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Other SQL Server 2008 Topics
 Notification in C# on table events

Author  Topic 

xalpha
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-11 : 08:58:32
Hello,

I'm searching for a nice way to get a C# notification if a new row is inserted in a table. The table will be filled by an other closed application and I can't get any information before the item is written to SQL. I only need the ID from the new row.

I already have a running solution. It is possible to use the SqlDependency based on service broker. But for this I have to use a base query like: SELECT [ID] FROM dbo.mytable

For big tables it is not a proper solution...

Maybe I can use an insert trigger and update a status table that only holds one row with the newest ID. But I think there must be a better solution?

Where are the SQL/C# professionals? Has someone the way of best practice?

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-11 : 09:19:59
Without knowing your exact requirements, I'd have to say that this type of thing is exactly what service broker is for -- sending asynchronous messages to other applications.

Is ID an identity column? Can use scope_identity() to retrieve the new ID inserted, or @@identity to retrieve the last ID inserted (by any session)
Go to Top of Page

xalpha
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-20 : 10:02:20
I have to thank you for this hint!

In fact the service broker was exactly what I need. It took a bit time to get familiar with that concept but it was the right way.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-22 : 14:25:31
Excellent, glad you're working it out.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -