Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 data in the varchar field being truncated

Author  Topic 

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-05 : 11:55:19
Hi,

I've this table with a field specified as type varchar(2500). But when data is saved to the table - they are truncated to size 500.
I double checked the saving part and there is nothing in the stored procedure or in the code that can cause this.
So I'm puzzled what I am missing.

Need help please. Thanks.

Sqlbug

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-05 : 12:00:37
There is not much for us to go on here. I guess we are taking your word for it that "...there is nothing in the stored procedure or in the code that can cause this..."

But I suspect there actually is.

-Chad
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-05 : 12:01:02
Without any code to look at and your assurance that the code is good, I'd take a look at what is calling the stored procedure and see if anything is happening before the call.
Go to Top of Page

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-04-05 : 12:42:07
Hi Chad and Lamprey - I believe I found the reason. That field length was increased to 2500 at some point and the stored procedures were updated to match that, but the dataset was not updated. As a result - the MaxLength property for that field in the dataset was still 500. So I updated the dataset.
I haven't tested yet.
If problem persists, I'll be back with more information.

In the meantime - thanks for your offers to help.
Appreciate it, see you again.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -