Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 connecting sql server 2008 to visual studio 2008

Author  Topic 

SQLNEWBIZ
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 05:46:55
I cannot connect my server name to server whenever i m connecting error is displayed

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

can anyone please help to solve this.i am digging my head in the net for all the possible solutions.no luck..
thanks in advance.

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 06:28:33
Can you connect via the IP address/Port Number?

If so, go into SQL Server Configuration Manager on your desktop and add an Alias.
Go to Top of Page

SQLNEWBIZ
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 06:48:57
Thankyou for your Reply..Can you please explain it..how to connect via ip address/tcp ip.
I'll tell what I've alreaddy done.
enabled Tcp/ip,in Ip Addres tab,changed the dynamic port from 0 to blank.and tcp port,which is by default 1433.in windows firewall,add new rule,I added the port to 1433.Then coming back to ssms i checked the connection properties if remote connections possible.
What am I missing now?
And Can I create a new named Instance in the already installed sql server 2008.
Go to Top of Page

Peter99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

498 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-27 : 11:43:39
In SSMS
In front of Server name
Type <ip address,port number>
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -