Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Remote sqlserver instance name missing?

Author  Topic 

Terryw
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-23 : 19:02:41
Hi,

I have sql server express on a laptop and a desktop.

When I browse for LAN connected sql servers, from my desktop, using the sql server management studio I can see my laptop's sql server but the instance name is always missing. The instance name is 'SQLExpress' (the installation default).

If I do the same in the reverse direction I can see the instance name on my desktop. No problems.

Both firewalls are set the same. Both machines run Windaz 7.

Using the sql server configuration manager I have set visibility of the instance name but it still doesn't show up.

I can connect in both directions. In the desktop to laptop direction I have to manually input the instance name because I can't see it.

Why do I care? I am writing software to ease the burden of installation for a package that uses sql server as it storage. My software uses an API to get data sources and list them. However, it is tremendously unreliable.

Can anyone throw some light on this?
Terry

meghasql001
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-03-30 : 12:06:38
Hi,
I have installed SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU on my system but when i try to connect using windows authentication it gives me error as :-

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to localhost.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

When I go to Start->All Programs->Microsoft Sql Server 2008 R2->Configuration Tools->Sql Server Configuraion Manager->Sql Server Services I dont see any sql server services.

Any advice!!! :-(

Megha
Go to Top of Page

Terryw
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-30 : 14:10:08
It may mean that you don't have the sql services (processes) installed and running. First thing I'd do is see if the services are running. Typically, "sql server (instance name)" plus "sql server browser" should be running. Use control panel -> administration -> services to see if they are present and correct. That way you don't have to rely on the "foibles" of sql configuration manager.

Did the installation work ok? Normally, you get notification when things went horribly wrong. Plus, there is of course an installation log. Not quite sure where it is but a look around where the executable resides will soon find it.

Good hunting.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -