Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 alert for server down

Author  Topic 

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 09:51:07
Hi,

I thought I have set enough alerts to be notified when the server is going down, but yesterday, the test server went down, and none of the alerts fired.

The network team got too many snapshots on the C drive and it run out of space. That forced the server down.

I have alerts for severity from 025 to 016, then error 823, 824, 825 for early hardware failure.

After it was back, it did not have anything meaningful in sql server log or windows log(at least I couldn't tell).

So my question is, when event like this happens, how does DBA get notified?

Thanks!

Hommer
Aged Yak Warrior

808 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 10:02:34
Now I think about it, it should be a solution similar to how the witness server functions in mirroring.

Server A has this job periodically ping server B. If got no response, send notification.

Am I on the right track? Any one knows a custom solution like this? I am sure those commercial third party tools could work this way.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 11:08:26
That's usually something for a general monitoring tool. Our shop is using Microsoft SCOM (Service Center Ops Manager). There are other monitoring tools available. While it's not cheap and usually takes A LOT of customization, it works pretty well and tends to be better than homespun tools. For instance, your two SQL Servers may be able to ping each other just fine, but nothing else can reach them. (yep, this has happened to me) And if they can't send out to the email server, you won't get the alert either.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-22 : 13:26:53
We are using SCOM too. We have hundreds of SQL Servers, and SCOM works great for monitoring. I agree that it does require A LOT of customization. We have a dedicated SCOM team, so the DBAs are not required to learn it. lol

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -