Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 SQL job is blocked

Author  Topic 

kond.mohan
Posting Yak Master

213 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-06 : 03:38:37
hi
we are pulling the data from ORACLE TO SQL SERVER THROUGH SQL JOB(USING SSIS PACKAGES ).BEFore executing this job we have included 1 step for to kill the ALL the process running in the Sql server.
today this step was failed becase of

transaction rollback in progress. Estimated rollback completion: 0%
this error.

after that my in ssis packages first task is Trucate all table in the staging database and loading the tables on the specified Frequencey.every this step execution time is 4 hrs
today it is exetting from more than 9hrs still not completed. and all my staging table loaded partially(job is not failed still showing executing).
once i stopped the exectting we are not able to identify root cause.

pls provide the solution.

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-03-06 : 03:48:40
i think there was some large transaction happening when KILL statement was fired and its taking time to rollback it. unless it completes rollback and reaches stable state you can start any other processes

Also i dont know why you KILL other processes. What if there was some important process executing at that stage? It will have risk of bringing DB to unstable state if kill didnt happen properly.
A much better approach would be to check if any process if running and once its done then start with your job. In actual scenario you should have set schedule in such a way that minimum overlap happens while your critical jobs are executing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -