Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Incorrect record counts or am I missing something?

Author  Topic 

rsaver
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 10:17:13
I've used Oracle for the past 5 years, but I have new position doing data extraction from SQL 2008. My position does not allow access down to the admin or t-sql level, so some things are beyond my reach.

Here's the problem. I'm running a simple query on a 'code' table in our main application. It's not pulling the correct number of records based on my '=' vs '<>' criteria. Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

SELECT
COUNT(DISTINCT [my_code]) My_code_count
from
mytable

That produces the total number of distinct records in mytable which is 161. That is correct.

SELECT
from
mytable
where obsolete = ‘Y’

That produces the total number of obsolete records in mytable. The record count is 81, which is correct. 'obsolete' is a 1 character string field according to the documentation that I have.

SELECT
from
mytable
where obsolete <> ‘Y’

This should produce the total number of non-obsolete records. The correct number is 80, but it's returning 18 (?!?). When I change the where clause to ‘where obsolete is null’ it pulls 62 records…still not correct. But when I do ‘where obsolete <> ‘Y’ or obsolete is null’ it pulls 80…correct number. But that seems kinda goofy unless I’m missing something here.

I'm see the same (incorrect) results using a data extraction utility built into the application as well as doing an excel query with odbc link. So it seems like a syntax problem in my query (which I doubt) or a database issue.

I also used rtrim(ltrim(obsolete)) to trim any spaces...same incorrect results.

This seems like programming 101...<> should produce the exact opposite of =.

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 10:22:13
where obsolete <> 'Y' or obsolete is null looks good - what is the problem?

also possible: where isnull(obsolete,'') <> 'Y'

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

wided
Posting Yak Master

218 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 10:22:15
probably obsolete is null in some records

add this

where (obsolete <> ‘Y’ or obsolete is null)
Go to Top of Page

rsaver
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 11:10:45
Yes, I got 'obsolete <> 'Y' or obsolete is null' to work...but the question is why doesn't obsolete <> 'Y' produce the exact opposite of obsolete = 'Y'.

I want to understand if this is a quirk in how SQL handles null values. I don't want to just 'patch' the query so it works, because this will affect how I approach things in the future. This goes against my 28 years of programming experience where <> ALWAYS produces the exact opposite of =.
Go to Top of Page

rsaver
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 11:18:30
Check out this page in the section about the where clause

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb264565(v=sql.90).aspx

Per this page, it should work as I described.
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-20 : 12:01:32
The short answer is that NULL is neither equal to or not equal to anything else, it is simply UNKNOWN. Unknonw is different from NOT EQUAL.
Go to Top of Page

bhushan_juare
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-21 : 07:39:13
hi rsaver,
the ans was in your code itself reason is you have to use this condition only to get correct count i.e. ‘where obsolete <> ‘Y’ OR obsolete IS NULL’

Note:- Mark if ans is correct
Go to Top of Page

rsaver
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-25 : 12:19:43
quote:
Originally posted by bhushan_juare

hi rsaver,
the ans was in your code itself reason is you have to use this condition only to get correct count i.e. ‘where obsolete <> ‘Y’ OR obsolete IS NULL’

Note:- Mark if ans is correct

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm taking this suggestion and moving on with it.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -