Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Checking for firewall problem

Author  Topic 

J Trahair
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-14 : 09:12:46
Hi. I have a SBS server with SQL Express 2008 and a W7 Pro workstation connected on a network. I have repeatedly followed instructions from various sources about enabling the TCP/IP and configuring the Windows firewall for port 1433.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

My app connects to the server when the app is installed on the server, but the app installed on the workstation does not. The connection string is
Data Source=SVR-SBS2011\SHAREPOINT;Initial Catalog=Customers_database;Integrated Security=SSPI

and the sql installation is Windows authenticated.

How can I check that the firewall is allowing access?

Any help gratefully received.

Peter99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

498 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-15 : 12:19:10
At command prompt type:
netstat -an

Then check proto, local address and state column.
proto Local Address State
TCP 0.0.0.1433 Listening

Go to Top of Page

srimami
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-17 : 21:32:11
Make sure the security port 1433 is open and the IP address where you are running the application is white listed to that of host server.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -