Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 ExecuteNonQuery returns -1 even if rows are succe

Author  Topic 

winman
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 05:49:54
I have am using ExecuteNonQuery to get number of rows inserted But i found that it returns -1 even though rows are successfully inserted.
I am using simple insert statement.

ExecuteUpdtCmdWithRetry = Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

here Cmd is a parameter which contains the sql insert statement.

The ExecuteNonquery return proper value.But sometime returns -1 and then it keeps showing -1 if any number of insert is done. but all values successfully inserted.Only problem with ExecuteNonQuery returning -1.

This error comes only to a single database. For all other database in that server ExecuteNonquery returns proper value.So what may be the problem that causes this?

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 05:59:47
see if you've SET NOCOUNT ON; statement on top of SQL query which is assigned to Cmd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

winman
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 06:45:10
Hi.. visakh16
I have already checked that. set nocount on is not set.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-11 : 07:17:56
whats the query you're trying to execute? is it a procedure or adhoc sql?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

winman
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-12 : 01:49:29
It is just an insert statement
Go to Top of Page

winman
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-12 : 02:03:20
The query i have used is insert into [customer]([Id]) values('531067')

And another one is update statement

update [customer] set [Call attnd]='ses' where Id = 531067 and (Ltrim(Rtrim(cast([Call attnd] as varchar(max)))) = '' or Ltrim(Rtrim(cast([Call attnd] as varchar(max)))) is null)
Go to Top of Page

winman
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-12 : 02:53:58
Here is complete details on what problem i am facing

Problem with “ExecuteNonQuery’”:

We are using VB.Net & in the below code sample ‘ExecuteNonQuery’ method returns -1 while executing Insert & update statements even though actually rows have been affected.

Public Function ExecuteUpdtCmdWithRetry(ByVal Msfgmain As AxMSFlexGridLib.AxMSFlexGrid, ByVal Cmd As DbCommand) As Integer
ExecuteUpdtCmdWithRetry = -1
Dim AttemptCnt As Integer = 1
Dim QueryString As String = Cmd.CommandText
Do While AttemptCnt <= 3
Try
ExecuteUpdtCmdWithRetry = Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
Exit Do
Catch ErrorObj As Exception
MsgBox(Err.description)
End Try
Loop
End Function
Sample query that are set to the command:
Insert into [customer]([Id]) values('531067')
Update [customer] set [Phone no]='09966949119' where Id='531067'

For first few updates/insert ‘ExecuteNonQuery’ return proper value, later on it returns -1 & it repeats continuously. Once the program is closed & opened again it works properly for few updates/inserts.

Below change done in the code before the command ‘ExecuteNonQuery’, now the return value of ‘ExecuteNonQuery’ is proper.

Cmd.CommandText = "set nocount off; " & Cmd.CommandText

When ‘set Nocount off’ is done then the result is proper. Why is this happening? Whether ‘Nocount’ is set ‘on’ in-between?
We have 2 SQL Server installed in different PC. Error comes only for the database kept in one server (other database in server have very few inserts. We haven’t checked them) & in the other server Insert statement never returned -1. (Update statements we have not checked)
We have tried shifting of data to new database & new table in the same server but still the error persists. Initially when this error started we found some errors while running ‘DBcheck’ command which have been repaired immediately, but still the error persists.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -