Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 Not getting parameter values on report

Author  Topic 

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 12:40:07
Hello,

I have this rdlc report (hosted on a .NET page in a ReportViewer control).
The DataSource for the ReportViewer is an ObjectDataSource with SelectParameters specified that gets it's data from a DataSet.
On the Report itself, I defined the same report parameters with same name.
When I try to display the values for the report parameters, they show only blanks. But the data on the report is good, the DataSet is receiving the parameters correctly and returning right result.

Any idea whats wrong?
Thanks.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:05:54
SSRS does not let retrieve parameter values returned from a stored procedure - assuming that that is what you meant. You have to get the values through a dataset.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:13:08
how are you trying to retrieve the parameters in .NET application?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:13:12
Hi James,
I tried - from the code file (myreport.aspx.cs) like following:
ReportParameter[] param = new ReportParameter[16];
param[0] = new ReportParameter("p_Coverage", tbCoverage.Text);
RVMyReport.LocalReport.SetParameters(param);

And created the exact same parameter on the rdlc (p_Coverage), even then it did not work.

So - I'm confused whats wrong.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:29:12
Hi Visakh,

The problem is on the report itself, where I want to retrieve the parameter values (passed from the page hosting the report).
So, on the .NET page - the parameters are there. They are sent correctly to the DataSource (DataSet) that correctly displays data on the report.
Only the parameter values can not be retrieved on the report.
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 13:59:22
quote:
Originally posted by sqlbug

Hi James,
I tried - from the code file (myreport.aspx.cs) like following:
ReportParameter[] param = new ReportParameter[16];
param[0] = new ReportParameter("p_Coverage", tbCoverage.Text);
RVMyReport.LocalReport.SetParameters(param);

And created the exact same parameter on the rdlc (p_Coverage), even then it did not work.

So - I'm confused whats wrong.

Thanks.

Your code seems exactly right - the way you are setting the parameters and that you have defined the parameters with the same names in your report all seem consistent and correct.

The fact that you are able to use those parameters to run the query and get the correct dataset shows that the parameters are getting to the report and even to the database.

So then the problem has to be in where/how you are displaying the parameters. Just for testing purposes, if you set a default value for the report (and don't send the values from .Net page), does that show up on the report correctly?
Go to Top of Page

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 14:32:00
Ah, tried that and didn't work. Tested with simple textboxes - making sure they are visible.
Don't know what to try next.
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 15:49:50
If you create a simple text box and put the parameter into that text box, does that work? If you create a brand new parameter and put its value into a text box does it work? I don't have any specific thoughts or ideas on why this is happening, I am simply thinking of ways of narrowing down the source of the problem.
Go to Top of Page

sqlbug
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 16:02:48
No...it doesn't, only the static text comes up. No parameter values can be seen, they show up on the page that hosts the ReportViewer, but not on the report.
The passing from 1) the .NET page to the ReportViewer or 2) the ReportViewer to the rdlc file is not working.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -