Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 help needed to separate string in a cell

Author  Topic 

suety29
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-25 : 09:22:50
i am using ssis to transfer data from an old database structure to a new one. in the old table there's a cell where values from a multiple select checkbox was stored as '12345'. However in the new structure the values are comma separated for e.g. '1,2,3,4,5'.

i cant seem to figure out how to separate the string using commas. Can anyone help??? also note that the length of the string varies from row to row as follows:

row 1 may have - '135'
row 2 may have - '12345'
row 3 may have - '2'

etc.....

Thanks!

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-25 : 09:57:38
i would do this in t-sql as that will be set based and will be calling the script/procedure from execute sql task in ssis.

the script would be like

CREATE PROCEDURE StuffChar
@String varchar(100),
@Char char(1),
@Stuffed varchar(150) OUTPUT
AS

;With CTE
AS
(
SELECT 1 AS N
UNION ALL
SELECT N + 1
FROM CTE
WHERE N + 1 <= LEN(@String)
)
SELECT @Stuffed= COALESCE(@Stuffed,'') + SUBSTRING(@String,N,1) + @Char
FROM CTE

SET @Stuffed = STUFF(@Stuffed,LEN(@Stuffed),1,'')
GO

then execute it like

DECLARE @Str varchar(200)
EXEC StuffChar '76213816439827432094730921480',',',@Str OUT

SELECT @Str

output
-------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

suety29
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-28 : 21:49:26
Thanks for your help.

I'm kind of a newbie with transact sql so forgive me if this question sounds a bit dumb. How do you implement it for a query that returns multiple rows? for e.g. the data comes from a table called 'Test' and 'string' is the field i would like to separate. So if i have a query such as "select string from test" and it returns 10 rows, how do i loop through the rows?
Go to Top of Page

senthil_nagore
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1007 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 01:35:00
quote:
Originally posted by suety29

Thanks for your help.

I'm kind of a newbie with transact sql so forgive me if this question sounds a bit dumb. How do you implement it for a query that returns multiple rows? for e.g. the data comes from a table called 'Test' and 'string' is the field i would like to separate. So if i have a query such as "select string from test" and it returns 10 rows, how do i loop through the rows?

Do you need this?

Declare @listStr varchar(max)
Select @listStr =COALESCE(@listStr+',', '')+ string from test
select @listStr

Senthil Kumar C
------------------------------------------------------
MCITP - Database Administration SQL SERVER 2008
MCTS - Database Development SQL SERVER 2008
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 02:53:05
quote:

Thanks for your help.

use select query as a source for execute sql task and store result in variable of type object
Then add a for each loop to iterate through object variable using recordset enumerator and inside loop add a string variable to get value for each iteration. Then call the sp in execute sql task passing individual values from variable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP

Go to Top of Page

tm
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-29 : 15:26:16
Here is another option ..
1. Create function in database
2. use data flow task and use T-SQL to use function to return string with comma

This will get you the correct data and you can then export to the new table.

-- ====================================
-- == Create function in database
create function dbo.testAddComma(@inputStr varchar(500))
returns varchar(1000)
as
begin
declare @ipos int
declare @outputStr varchar(1000)

set @ipos = LEN(@inputStr) -1

while @ipos > 0
begin
select @inputStr = left(@inputStr, @ipos) + ',' + RIGHT(@inputStr, LEN(@inputStr) - @ipos)
select @ipos -= 1
end

return(@inputStr)
end

--==========================================
-- T-SQL in Data Flow task to return modified string
-- change column names and table name to your table info

select tid, dbo.testAddComma([str]) as newStr
from @table
Go to Top of Page

suety29
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-30 : 16:42:53
quote:
Originally posted by visakh16

quote:

Thanks for your help.

use select query as a source for execute sql task and store result in variable of type object
Then add a for each loop to iterate through object variable using recordset enumerator and inside loop add a string variable to get value for each iteration. Then call the sp in execute sql task passing individual values from variable.

SQL Server MVP

Hi visakh16,

i'm not familiar with using the execute sql task in ssis since i'm actually just starting out using integration services. I tried implementing your suggestion but i don't quite understand how to do so. The old table has the following fields airline, flight#, startdate, enddate, eta, dow, port, inactive. What i want to do is import these fields into a new table but during this import, i need to change the string in the 'dow' (1234567) field to the comma separated field (1,2,3,4,5,6,7). So records have no data in this field, some may have one character, etc. Can you break down your suggestion into steps?

Go to Top of Page

suety29
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-30 : 16:47:01
quote:
Originally posted by tm

Here is another option ..
1. Create function in database
2. use data flow task and use T-SQL to use function to return string with comma

This will get you the correct data and you can then export to the new table.

-- == Create function in database
create function dbo.testAddComma(@inputStr varchar(500))
returns varchar(1000)
as
begin
declare @ipos int

set @ipos = LEN(@inputStr) -1

while @ipos > 0
begin
select @inputStr = left(@inputStr, @ipos) + ',' + RIGHT(@inputStr, LEN(@inputStr) - @ipos)
select @ipos -= 1
end

return(@inputStr)
end

--==========================================
-- T-SQL in Data Flow task to return modified string
-- change column names and table name to your table info

select tid, dbo.testAddComma([str]) as newStr
from @table

Hi tm,

Thanks for you suggestion. I tried it but it doesn't give the expected result in all cases. For instance if the field has a string of 1356, the result of your function would be 1,,, but if the string is 1234567, it displays 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 which is correct.
Go to Top of Page

tm
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-31 : 13:47:11
Hi Suety,

My mistake in not using RTRIM for Char data type string. Tested using varchar data type

Here is the modified function to include RTRIM. This should fix the function to return correct string.

CREATE function [dbo].[testAddComma](@inputStr varchar(500))
returns varchar(1000)
as
begin
declare @ipos int

set @ipos = LEN(RTRIM(@inputStr)) -1

while @ipos > 0
begin
select @inputStr = left(RTRIM(@inputStr), @ipos) + ',' + RIGHT(RTRIM(@inputStr), LEN(RTRIM(@inputStr)) - @ipos)
select @ipos -= 1
end

return(@inputStr)
end
Go to Top of Page

suety29
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2013-02-01 : 14:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by tm

Hi Suety,

My mistake in not using RTRIM for Char data type string. Tested using varchar data type

Here is the modified function to include RTRIM. This should fix the function to return correct string.

CREATE function [dbo].[testAddComma](@inputStr varchar(500))
returns varchar(1000)
as
begin
declare @ipos int

set @ipos = LEN(RTRIM(@inputStr)) -1

while @ipos > 0
begin
select @inputStr = left(RTRIM(@inputStr), @ipos) + ',' + RIGHT(RTRIM(@inputStr), LEN(RTRIM(@inputStr)) - @ipos)
select @ipos -= 1
end

return(@inputStr)
end

Thanks guys for all the help!

TM it worked! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -