Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2008)
 Importing .csv, .txt, .xml from a different app

Author  Topic 

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-20 : 07:54:09

Had some success using MS Excel as a simple staging app

Mainly regularly taking Apple Mail (XML), selecting by mouse - copying and pasting to a spreadsheet, making this .xls file available as a shared network directory using VMWare between Mac Excel 2008 and WinXP SQL Server 2008

Using tasks: Import to a fresh table

I'm surprised that without Excel installed, this step is impossible. The routine of reading any format I've tried - unicode off/on, delimiters ... The rows I want are shown perfectly in the importer. EXACTLY what I selected in Mail. saved as .xls, xlsx, .csv, .txt, .rtf This platform / driver is stated. Best chance using flat files. XLS al from 2010, 97, back to 05, 03? Tries, tested and ignored

I now get undescribable meaningless error messages. I used to run into these annoyances, but the problem was solved on a previous WinXP machine which is now obsolete. The entire database I was using now sits well on Intel & VMWare, with all the history, which I want to add to. If the columns and characters are all perfect, why can't these end up in a table? Pathetic

- Advertisement -