Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 Delete EncryptionKeys. What about Existing reports

Author  Topic 

andritjia
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-05-09 : 02:52:17
Hi All,

I need someone assistance on this. At the moment I have problem when connecting Report Server. The error says

The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) (rsRPCError) Get Online Help
Bad Data. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090005)
And I tried some solutions by googling here and there but I still couldn't solve it. And there is one one solution that I have not tried yet. and it is deleting encryption Key. Why do I want to try deleting encryption key? it is because I couldn't change it. the button change and backup are disable and I can not restore because there is no backup.

So My concern now, If I delete Encryption. Will it delete all existing reports? and will it create a new key automatically then I can access the reports?

Thanks,

Andri

mirkywater3
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-05-14 : 16:12:30
Deleting the keys will not delete any data on the server. You reports will be fine, however your connection settings (data sources) will be gone. You will have to re create the connection for the reports and subscriptions too. Subscriptions are the people who receive automated reports in email/mapped drive.

You have to delete the encryption key because something is wrong with the encryption. Some setting must have changed. If you do not have a backup key, you have no other choice. Delete, create a new one, and create new connection strings.

Not a big problem.
Go to Top of Page

ronak2303
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-07-25 : 09:20:48
Just one more clarification,
we are using windows auth in our report data source, do we have to deploy all reports again.

can you please provide me some info what exactly we have to follow after we delete and recreate encryption key.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -