Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 Text file as datasource to SSRS

Author  Topic 

Vadivu
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-05 : 00:18:38
we have text files with fixed layout separated by commas. Is it possible to give the text file as datasource to SSRS?

shah429
Yak Posting Veteran

52 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-05 : 18:11:40
I don't think you can.
Go to Top of Page

JCirocco
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

392 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-05 : 18:47:21
Actually you can. I am repeating from memory and have no access to my work computer from here.

Create an ODBC data source. Control Panel, Admin Tools, Data Sources (ODBC). Add new data source. Select Microsoft Text Driver. Give it a name and select the directory you will be storing the *.csv files. When in the reporting services development tool Create a new data source and change the default from SQL Server database to ODBC. Select the ODBC data source you just created. I think it then prompts you to select the actual *.csv file. There are certain functions you cannot do but worked great for most things I tried.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Vadivu
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-06 : 07:26:32
Hi JCirocco i didnt try your approach. thanks for ur suggestion.
but this can be done... use ole db type datasource for the report and give the connection string as follows:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=D:\RxTools;Extended Properties="text;HDR=No;FMT=Delimited"

and then in the query, just specify 'select * from sample.txt'
Its listing all the data.
Go to Top of Page

JCirocco
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

392 Posts

Posted - 2009-08-06 : 08:28:34
I'll try that for future.

The reason I know the ODBC setup is in a past job we deployed objects that used ODBC from text as the source data. Because it was directed to the users mapped drives AND each department had a different drive letter for this specific data (not my fault) we deployed the ODBC Datasource through Policies and based upon your group, you received the "proper" version of the ODBC DSN.
Go to Top of Page

navya krishna
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 2013-01-23 : 01:50:32
Dear all,

i have one problem in ssrs.i need to display sales report customer wise [sales and budget and variance and variance percentage] from different databases but in single server.it will be there detailes in multiple databases.i need to display detailes in single report.could you please anyone help me.for example we are maintaining 2010,2011 databases so i need to display customer no,sales,budget,variance,variance percentage in single report ...

year from 2012 year to 2013 date filter 01-01-12..31-12-13

Customer No. Sales -2012 Budget-2012 Variance-2012 Variance %-2012 Sales -2013 Budget-2013 Variance-2013 Variance %-2013

i need details like this in one report using multiple databases.please anyone help me.

navya krishna katta
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -