Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 OK to delete or move "...log.LDF" ???

Author  Topic 

vics
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-02 : 16:35:21
Gang, my c drive's full - can I simply shut her down & either move or delete this file? - I assume it's merely a "log file" that I can shoot over to another directory with no ramifications to data?

Please tell me it's OK :>)

Thanks - Vic
vsalemme@ziplink.net

simondeutsch
Aged Yak Warrior

547 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-02 : 17:15:20
Vic,
You certainly should not simply delete the file. If it's very large, you can truncate the log, but back it up first if the data means anything to you. I'm not sure about moving the file, but I think it's also problematic, if the SysFiles table will still have the old path, I think SQL Server will make a new log file in the old location.

HTH,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

izaltsman
A custom title

1139 Posts

Posted - 2002-01-02 : 18:48:14
Well, before you will be able to move/delete the log file you are going to have to detach the database (otherwise your database will go suspect on you). So here is what you do:
1. Detach the database
2. Move the log off to another drive
3. Attach the database back using only the datafile (the log file will be created automatically, as simondeutsch has pointed out)

Alternatively, you could back up your transaction log (use TRUNCATE_ONLY option if you are completely out of space) and then run DBCC SHRINKFILE.

Edited by - izaltsman on 01/02/2002 18:49:43
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -